Evil things unknowingly in Christian household??

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by barnyardfun, Jan 18, 2007.

1. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I was reading somewhere about how some stuff is of Satan without it really seeming that way. We are desensitised (sp?)to stuff. This article was talking about a variation of things but some that stuck out is some that I have in my household.

Cabbage Patch Dolls
    My Little Pony
    Care Bears

And numerous other toys, mags, decorations, etc.

Now I don't want to start a debate over this]. I just want to know more information on what leads them to be evil.

It said something about the Cabbage Patch dolls names where traced back to other gods and such, and therefore had demons with them.

Does anyone have more information on this??

Please no comments against my Christianity, I just want more info from fellow Christians if they have ever incountered this or not.

2. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never heard of that about the toys, but I know a lot of christians that bring back little budda dolls as souvenirs or other such stuff that clearly is a violation of the 10 commandments - you shall have no other gods before me and you shall not make any graven images....

3. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

I think that it's highly unlikely that inanimate objects (or non-sentient ones for that matter) can contain demons. You may disagree with the company that made a thing, how it was paid for, and so forth... but that doesn't put a demon in it.

Also, we're told that we'll be held to the truth that we are given... if we don't kow a thing is wrong (legitimately), then it isn't, for us.

R

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

We did have a neighbor in the city who thought the Cabbage Patch dolls were evil but IMHO, she was a nutcase.

5. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

Cabbage Patch evil?!? OMG I just got one for my granddaughter because it looks JUST like her. I don't believe that for a minute. How could something that smells like baby powder and looks like that be evil? Puhleeze.

6. madness

madness Well-Known Member

I think things like that are only evil is someone believes they are evil. Even if they were named after same pagan god, it doesn't make them "evil" - just makes them have a name with an interesting history.

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"Now I don't want to start a debate over this]. I just want to know more information on what leads them to be evil."

O.K. Perhaps a good start would be you giving us your sourse of information because I certainly have never heard of any such thing that you are speaking of. Sounds like one of those he said that she said that he said that she said sort of urban legends that get posted on various websites to me.

8. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

Some of those things may very well be evil becuase.....someone told you they were and you beleived them.

9. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I did a quick google and found this...

BOOK REVIEW
    TURMOIL IN THE TOY BOX
    By Phil Phillips
    Turmoil in the Toy Box is a shocking expose` of the toy and cartoon industry. It reveals the hidden dangers found in many of the popular toys and cartoons such as He-Man and Masters of the Universe, Barbie, Rainbow Brite, G.I. Joe, Smurfs, Dungeons & Dragons, Care Bears, ThunderCats and E.T.; to name a few. This book unmasks the New Age, the occult, and the violent and Satanic influences that have invaded the once innocent toy box.
    Phil Phillips seeks to make people aware of what is happening today in the toy and cartoon industry. He demonstrates how the occult, violence and heavy sexual overtones in this sort of entertainment are affecting our children. The book not only takes an in-depth look at the toy and cartoon industry, but also provides the proper tools needed to assist the reader in the assimilation of knowledge to help in the proper guidance of children, thereby avoiding the traps within the media. Although not every toy or cartoon series is covered, Turmoil in the Toy Box is the most thoroughly researched and balanced expose` available today in its field.
    This book also explains the importance of play, and how toys can enhance or stunt a child's development. In addition, Turmoil in the Toy Box provides the reader with an alternative to today's popular toys.
    -------------------------------------------
    http://www.bible.com/overcoming-life/digest5.php#turmoil

10. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Sounds that way to me too.

If you look hard enough for the devil you'll find him.

11. madness

madness Well-Known Member

Ahh...finally remembered where I'd heard that too. Bill Gothard! In case you don't know who he is, check out what Personal Freedom Outreach has to say about him:

http://www.pfo.org/bgothard.htm

http://www.pfo.org/evol-fad.htm

PFO states these goals for themselves on their website:

Personal Freedom Outreach is a non-profit, non-denominational group with three goals: to educate Christians about the dangers and heretical doctrines of religious cults, to use the Gospel of Jesus Christ to reach members of those cults and to warn Christians of unbiblical teachings within the church itself.

So, I think it is safe to say that he was being EXTREME and that you shouldn't pay him any heed.

Hope that helps!

12. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

I still have my cabbage patch doll from when I was a kid...her name is Hedi Betty...sounds pretty domestic to me...although I'll admit I've never heard the name Hedi before.

13. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

REGARDING CABBAGE KIDS PATCH DOLLS

The Gothard response also says, “Richard Fisher states: ‘...He [Gothard] taught that the highly popular Cabbage Patch Kids® dolls were causing strange and destructive behavior in children that could only be alleviated when the dolls were removed or destroyed.’” The team then ignores the report of a 1986 letter to PFO from the Gothard organization itself saying that the Cabbage Patch Kids were “a violation of the first Commandment” and a deterrent to children wanting to raise up godly children later in life. Perhaps this letter went out with Gothard’s full knowledge and approval and is now an embarrassment to him.

The Gothard team did cite The Quarterly Journal critique’s statement that there was “no allowance made for other environmental and social factors in the homes.” It appears that letters and testimonials were accepted at face value without any investigation of backgrounds or long-term results. Many of Gothard’s teachings are based upon anecdotal stories and devoid of scriptural basis.

The team tries to conciliate by adding, “Bill reported this information during the basic seminar and provided documentation to those who requested it. This produced many additional testimonies from parents who saw dramatic freedom as soon as the Cabbage Patch Kids® dolls were removed. The parents were the ones giving the warnings, not Bill’s teaching.” This is a useless nuance. If a preacher endorses testimonials from his pulpit, and those testimonials teach something, then the preacher is teaching it, if not directly then by endorsement and approval.

Gothard has published even more claims about Cabbage Patch Kids since that first letter. His January 1996 Basic Care Newsletter from his Medical Training Institute defines the potential of the once-popular dolls. The publication stated that there are a core of midwives that are working against “Satan’s program from Genesis to Revelation to destroy the Godly seed.” This report endorsed by Gothard and his organization then describes “cleansing the home from evil influences.” The midwives searched the homes for Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and Troll dolls. They believed the destruction of these facilitated the births. Just having these items in the home retarded a speedy delivery, said the newsletter. Attributing this much power to a doll goes beyond the pale of reason and lapses into pagan superstition.

Testimonials are a slippery foundation. Nearly every cult in the world bases its authority on its testimonials. That is why some of Gothard’s teachings have cultic leanings. However, this kind of numbers game can cut both ways and thousands of parents and children could be produced who saw no harmful effects from owning such a doll. Saying something is an idol does not make it so.

14. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Ravenlost

Take for example Gothard’s “Cabbage Patch” flap. In 1986, he taught that the highly popular Cabbage Patch Dolls were causing strange and destructive behavior in children that could only be alleviated when the dolls were removed or destroyed.

In a letter from his organization, his followers were told by representative Ginger Jones that to enter into a written agreement to love a doll was a violation of the First Commandment. The threat as seen by Gothard was that by adopting a doll, children might not want to raise up their own godly children. 8 Children may “love” dolls as they do other toys but this does not mean they worship them.

Testimonials were included with the above letter about the awful effects of the dolls with no allowance made for other environmental and social factors in the homes. The Cabbage Patch doll became a scapegoat.

:rolleyes: :shrug: :rolleyes:

16. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

:shrug:
    Doesn't the Bible teach to take in the fatherless or orphans?

17. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

You *do* realize that the days of the week are named for pagan gods, too, right?

Does that mean you are purposely HONOURING the old gods when you say "I'll meet you for prayer meeting on Wednesday"?

Oi. Surely we have other sorts of evil that are far more readily apparent and able to be dealt with much more directly.

18. Ravenlost

Hedi is Hebrew and has NOTHING to do with satanism or paganism best I can tell.

http://www.hebrewbabynames.com/item.cfm?itemid=32703

19. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

I trust that I've been given the gift of disernment. I don't need someone else to tell me what I can have and what I can't. Currently all my toy disgust is reserved for Bratz.

Donna

20. dragonfly65

dragonfly65 Well-Known Member

I think it's more a desensitizing kids to certain things than actually demonic. He-man, for instance has a lot of magic and stuff in it. Same with smurfs, Dungeons and Dragons and others. My mother didn't let us have Barbies because of her "unrealistic body imade" - we did get to have Skipper dolls though. If kids see these things all the time and play with them, then they will be less sensitive to more extreme images of magic or violence or whatever. Kinda like what you see on TV today would have made people pass out from embarrassement when I was a kid, but no one thinks anything of half naked women in their underwear on the screen today. I do think some people go overboard on some of this stuff. People said that Pokemen was bad, but if you actually limit your kids involvement and keep an eye on what they are watching and how they're behaving it shouldn't be a problem. My kids loved Pokemon, but I didn't let them watch it all the time and we certainly didn't waste money on a bunch of toys and things that they were going to discard in a year or two when they were tired of it. I didn't let my kids watch certain things when they were little that they can watch now because they are old enough now to know what's real and what's pretend and they don't watch near as much as most kids. When I was in high school ET was supposed to be "demonic". I thought it was stupid, but certainly not demonic.