Everything smells like onions!!!

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by mesa123, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mesa123

mesa123 Well-Known Member

I was so happy to harvest my onions. We got over ten pounds from our first attempt at growing them. I prepared five pounds of them last night and set them to dehydrate overnight. I knew it would be a little smelly, but I didn't think it would be too bad. I had fans going and windows open while I was preparing the onions, and the smell wasn't so bad then. Well, about 5:00am, I awoke to onion smell. It has permeated the entire house. I'm now sitting at work and still seem to have a cloud of onion scent surrounding me. I've scrubbed and scrubbed, but my hands still smell like onions too. I never imagined it would be this bad!!! Next time it will be done outside!

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have near that many onions! Good job. I am doing only a couple trays at a time. I have 3 huge kale plants that need to go so the kale gets more trays.

3. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

The smell can take over!I dry mine outside on the carport. Also if you have fresh milk , pour some over your hands and kinda wash them in it....it helps get rid of the smell. Good job on growing that many onions...i harvested zero from mine this year.

4. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations on your onions. I love dehydrated onions. They are so useful.

Right now everything smells like tomatoes and peaches at my house.

5. Horseyrider

Horseyrider Well-Known Member

Thanks for relating your experience. I brought in two bushels of onions for storage, and there are some that have flat sides or incomplete curing that I figured would do best used soon. Drying them seemed like a good idea.

I think that kind of pervasive smell would make me ill.

Maybe I could put the dehydrator in a shed.

6. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

Ya, I dry outside, the heat dosen't need to be in the house.I can't imagine doing Onions, I don't even like them.Smelling them would be awful.

7. mesa123

mesa123 Well-Known Member

Dehydrated onions are one of the most useful things ever. I don't generally like onions, but I use the dehydrated ones all the time in my cooking. I only dried one tray last year and knew I had to do more this year. The smell is slowly dissipating in the house, but its definitely still there. I'm going to can a bunch of peaches tomorrow...I'm hoping that'll cover up the oniony-ness in the house.

8. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

I have my Dehytrator OUT in the garage! 1. heat outside 2. noise outside and 3. SMELL outside !:)

9. kenworth

kenworth Well-Known Member

Dehydrated onions and peppers done on the deck after similar lesson learned.

10. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

The first time I dried onions I made that same mistake. I figured it might smell a bit, but how bad could a few onions be? :shrug:

I couldn't believe how bad it was! No matter how much air freshener, cleaning, or Fabreeze we used, I swear it still smelled like onions in here for weeks!

11. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

hehe I knew better...I did mine outside....