Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what's going on. Maybe it's too wet? too hot? But I've lost almost everything.

Keep in mind this is a VERY small operation, so we're not talking a farm, really just a big garden - one 2500sf field, another small field for vines, and some raised beds.

First, my super-hot peppers (I had 3 rows of ghost peppers) all wilted. I DO think that was because of too much water. Most of my corn didn't even come in at all. Same with beans. That's the big field.

All 6 spaghetti squash plants have wilted to death. Cucumbers are kinda hanging on. Lost a Parks Whopper tomato plant - same thing, just wilted for no apparent reason. Leaves were soft. Three summer squash plants down and the last three looking bad too.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Not sure about the peppers. Maybe the corn seed was too old to germinate? If you have more seed, do a quick germination test on it before you keep it to plant next year.
Squash & cucumbers - sounds like the dreaded squash vine borer. A day-flying moth (looks like a beetle to me with a orange/red back half) that lays tiny eggs usually at the base of the vine just where it had come out of the ground. (and sometimes on the undersides of the leaves). Eggs hatch larvae that burrow into the vine and kill it. Link I'm sorry. Gardening can be rewarding but it can make me tear my hair out some years.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Where are you located that you are getting all this rain ? Most of the country is under near drought conditions, and 90*+ temps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, thought I mentioned location. I'm near Raleigh NC.

Earlier this year we had massive amounts of rain. My field flooded several times. The lakes & ponds around here are overflowing. We're down to about 1 wave of thunderstorms per week right now, so I would expect things to have started drying out some.

Temps are running 90+ every day, even hotter this last week.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about the peppers. Maybe the corn seed was too old to germinate? If you have more seed, do a quick germination test on it before you keep it to plant next year.
Squash & cucumbers - sounds like the dreaded squash vine borer. A day-flying moth (looks like a beetle to me with a orange/red back half) that lays tiny eggs usually at the base of the vine just where it had come out of the ground. (and sometimes on the undersides of the leaves). Eggs hatch larvae that burrow into the vine and kill it. Link I'm sorry. Gardening can be rewarding but it can make me tear my hair out some years.
Corn seed was freshly purchased from Tractor Supply, but I don't recall checking the date. Didn't think about that - good point.

I'm pretty sure I don't have borers on the squash, but I'll double-check what's left.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You need to have a soil test done. Is your soil predominantly clay? First year gardening in this spot?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Too much rain....I had the same problem last year when rainfall records were set here. If we had been the Engels, you would have found us all starved to death in our Little House last winter...Thank God for the Piggly Wiggly for back-up.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Shouldn't gardening in N. C. be over and done by this time of the year? Otherwise I would vote for water saturation being your main problem . Most of your nitrogen was washed away by the earlier rains, and then, maybe, along came some fungal problems. The ninety degree temperatures did the rest--so now's the time to sit back and drink some iced tea. Next year is a new year.

geo

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Pictures of the dead/dying plants might help people diagnose the problem more accurately.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Compost amended soil, been working the same spots three years in one case, 5 years in another. No problems in the past. Raised beds are fresh topsoil with 33% compost mixed in.

All of this was planted months ago. Squash and tomatoes are just now having the problems, corn and beans never really got going well at all. Ghost peppers all faded away about 4-5 weeks after transplanting (just after last frost). I've just never run into this before.

I wish I had pictures this time around. I think I've just been too discouraged to bother. Not been a good year for growing things.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you using the bagged topsoil you get from stores? I have seen terrible results with that stuff in other people's gardens. It's mostly wood chips and not a lot else.

I will repeat though, soil test. Could be the heat, could be too much water... could be a lot if things. Start the foundation of your new garden on a comprehensive soil test.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh!And where is your compost from? Have you used straw or anything that could have been treated with pesticides as mulch or compost ingredients?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Oh!And where is your compost from? Have you used straw or anything that could have been treated with pesticides as mulch or compost ingredients?
This! I made this huge mistake and it took a couple of years before it all got leached out of the soil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Compost should be clean, but I'll look into that. Bulk topsoil from a local landscape supply yard. All the same sources as previous years.

Pretty much what I'm getting from everyone here is to write everything off this year. None of what's being suggested will do any good for what's growing now.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
So it depends where your local landscaper gets his dirt from. We had trouble when we used dirt that was stripped off farmland. They were making a parking lot there and brought the dirt to us. Luckily we only used it in two places. The grass grew the first year but the second year nothing. We had to make it right with the customers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have some tomato plants with leaves that droop and curl badly when in direct sun on those really hot days, despite plenty of moisture in the soil. Not long after they fall back into the shade the leaves unfurl and perk right back up again.

Maybe if you notice the same with what you have left, providing a little temporary shade somehow just to break up the intensity throughout the day might help?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put up a shade cloth over some of them, seems to have helped a little. Maybe I can salvage a few plants through end of harvest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts