Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot how living in the country can always be such an ordeal... Yesterday was proof of that..

Starts out, all I want to do is get the car inspected so it's completely legal... I stopped at 5 inspection stations until I got it inspected... Never mind that state law says a person who can do inspections always has to be available..

Then I'm on the way home, and stuck behind a really slow car. We round a curve, and there's some really big branches in the road (close to home) so I stop and move those, thinking that will give the car ahead of me time t get where they are going..

I get back in the car, and go around a few curves, and there's that car again, only it's stopped now... There are two nice fat pigs in the middle of the road and not wanting to move... I recognize the pigs.. they are the neighbors, the fire chiefs... So I get outta the car and start them back towards their pen, which is a little over quarter mile away..

I get them back in their pen after about 45 minutes of herding them back. Then I plug the hole they got out of the best I can with what I find laying around.. About that time, a friend, the fire chiefs son in law comes up on his 4 wheeler and was happy I got them back in so he didn't have to.. He gives me a ride back to the car..

So then I get home, and decide I need to look into the wall outside the bathroom. All the vinyl siding is bulging out, and I know there's rot in it... I get the siding off, the ply off the studs, and everything in the wall is rotted.. not just a small area like I thought..

So we head to town to get some wood to start the repairs.. My wife hadn't really been in that town yet, so we go together.. which means a sight seeing trip.. But the time we get home, it's too late to get started fixing the wall, but I do need o get the trash to the end of the road (about a mile) for trash pickup..

The problem is, the truck has wood in it, so now what? OH, I'll use the Jeep.. put up the back seat and haul this really big trash bin into the back... get it down to the end of the road..

As I'm down there, I hear something running in the creek just up the road.. so I drop off the trash, and go see what's running.. It's the fire chief's son in law filling the tank in one of the small fire trucks.. So I go down and talk with him.. Seems the fire chief set his bailer and a bail of hay on fire when a bearing went out.. SO I stick around there a bit and help him out.. .

I finally get back home.. Have dinner, and call it a day..

Nothing I really planned happened.. but I had a pretty enjoyable day... In the country, you never know what's going to happen, and no matter what you do or start, everything always seems to become an ordeal..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. I' pretty happy.. It just seems to be every day that works out like this.. Never often getting done what I set out to do, but getting a lot of other things done that I didn't know needed doing... Yesterday wasn't bad compared to how some of my other days go... Some times all you want to do is take the tractor for a ride to check the property, and before you know it, you're filling holes, moving boulders, and mowing fields so you can get to somewhere you want to get..

That's alight.. I'll take that any day over driving a desk :D

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I bet you've just made friends of the fire chief and his son-in-law for life!
We're all pretty good friends already.. It was the chiefs daughter and husband that's watched our place for te last year and a half until we out moved out here...

I love living in the country, around here it's never boring.

Simi-steading, sounds like you're getting to know all your neighbors and spreading some good will, they'll remember what you did to help them.
Yep, we've been doing all we can to get to know people. It's pretty amazing how many people have stopped by our place that we didn't know just to say hit and get a chance to meet (or sniff around and see what's up with us)

Is it next Wednesday I think? Anyway, taking the applications to the firehouse for the next meeting to get voted into the VFD... They seem to be pretty happy with the thought of new blood since most in the department aren't around much.

<Ordeal> means very unpleasant.

You were just having a regular country day. Whereas living in town it goes maybe more by rote - the same o same o. But in the country it is a totally different type of life..
You enjoyed your day ...may it always be that way ... Welcome to the country!
Good point... It's not been unpleasant, unless you look at the side of your house all ripped up and wonder that the heck you got yourself into.. but I try so hard to not look at it like that.. I keep thinking that's why it was cheap enough for us to afford..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, one of those pigs has already bitten me once back in April as I was slitting the throat on his buddy for our pig roast... I was going to get a chop from him so I could say I ate the pig that bit me... Now I think I need a second chop for all the weight I ran off trying to get him back in the pen.. LOL...

Right now, they're probably up around 400 lbs...

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And my friends always ask me " aren't you bored and lonely out there? What do you do all day? If they only knew!
LOL.. No Kidding!!!!.. .BY the time it starts getting dark I wonder where all my day has gone, and could use at least another 24 hours of light..

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
All I wanted to do was fix the front porch. Ended up jacking the whole house in the air, replacing the floor joists, pouring a footer and replacing the foundation. Took me almost everyday after work for close to two years. Most of the houses around me are well over a hundred years old. Between me and my neighbors our end of the road looks like constant real slow rural renewal.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I wanted to do was fix the front porch. Ended up jacking the whole house in the air, replacing the floor joists, pouring a footer and replacing the foundation. Took me almost everyday after work for close to two years. Most of the houses around me are well over a hundred years old. Between me and my neighbors our end of the road looks like constant real slow rural renewal.

I just did the face palm thinking about when we went to put in the new floor and joists, and ended up having to lift the whole house to put metal between all the old stone posts and the beams... termite guard..

I told my wife the day we walked around the house, we need to tear everything down except the windows and roof, and build around them... and now suddenly here I am doing just that wit the bathroom and mudroom exterior wall.

I was going to post some pictures of it, but my computer keeps telling me I need to format my SD card the pictures are on.. that doesn't need formatting.. I'm not in the mood to solve that problem today..

Yep.. .I loved that problem solver comment :clap:

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Always make yourself a list of things needing to be done that day.

Then when you look at it that night you'll have a plausible excuse for that 3rd beer.
On my second one now with my wife... :buds:

·
Premium Member
41,090 Posts
Always make yourself a list of things needing to be done that day.

Then when you look at it that night you'll have a plausible excuse for that 3rd beer.
Now you are sounding like my wife. always with the to do list... last time she made me a to do list she put it on my desk... first thing on the list was "clean clutter off desk" well, thats exactly what I did... that list went in the trash first! I like lists, and feel good about them too. every evening I go back over what I did that day, put it on the "gotter done" list.... thats my feel good list. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts