everyone cross your fingers....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by holleegee, Dec 13, 2005.

1. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I am fairly new to rabbits, this is my first shot at breeding. I have a pair of english angoras and a pair of mini lops. Yesterday morning I tried to let my english angoras and my mini lops breed. I saw my buck angora "fall over" so I think that was a good sign but my mini lops never really figured it out. Last night I put the angoras back together and the doe wouldn't let the buck do anything. I put the mini lops back together and they never figured it out (the doe thinks she is the buck and the buck tries but at the wrong end.) I guess it is just wait and see now. Even though I don't think the mini lops ever bred I will still give her a nest box in 28 days just in case. Hopefully I'll have bunnies!

2. Frenchy

Frenchy Wrangler's Roost

best of luck to ya ........ I had a buck once was a slow learner but once he figured it out he always had big healthy babies with every doe I put him with ......so hang in there maybe everyone will get the hang of it ...........hahahahahaa :cowboy:

3. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Young Mini Lops can be slow learners. :rolleyes:

Try putting the doe in with the buck (never the buck in the doe's pen). :)

Also, you might try turning the fellow around to the correct end... :eek:

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

As a rule, a fall over can mean preg, a doe that won't lift or a buck that doesn't fall means no preg.
    I don't bother giving a box to does when the buck never fell. I don't have time to screw around putting in boxes and then have to take them out 4 days later after the doe has made a mess in them, only to clean them and repete.

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Good Luck, Holleegee! Yep, sounds like the Angora did his job. Are the lops young yet?

Be sure to let us all know what happens!

NeHi

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Good Luck, I will DEFFENTLY keeo my fingers crossed for ya. Good Luck, bye.

7. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

I will cross my fingers for you!

Just wondreing, will all bucks literly fall over when they breed? Also will the doe change any of her habits when she gets close to having her babies kindling(sp)?

Melissa

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Not trying to be crude, but the first rabbit breeding I watched, the buck literally doubled over like he'd been kicked in the abdomen. It's not exactly a fun thing to watch! Some of mine fall over on their side...each one is a little different.

9. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

No Melissa ,, not all bucks will fall over ,, and the same buck may act different with different does ,,My Californian buck with a cooperating doe will do the 'deed' properly ,,,,,, bop bop bop grunt fall over ,,,, when I 'see' this I count on babies :p

other times I have watched him trying their head ,, their back - sides ,, him and doe exchanging grunts and tussling ,,,, one time I watched him 'trying' to breed 3 different does ,,,, I brought all 3 to his cage several times 3 days in a row ,,

I finally gave up ,, I watched and I swear he never did the deed ,, I can't palipate so I have to wait till I see that there are no babies and I'll rebreed on day 36 if there is a miss ,,

I talked junk to 'Buddy' all month about him visiting a colder climiate if he didn't straighten up and produce me some fryers ,,,, day 31 - spotty had 9 , day 32 - red had 11 , day 34 - blackie had 10 ...... :rock: Buddy looked Smug :D ,,,, I appoligized to him ,, gave him a carrot and I told him I'd never doubt him again LOL ...... so even when I don't think 'anything' has been done ,, I put in a nestbox around day 27 - 28 just in case ,,, ;)

most of the time ,, in my experience ,, if a doe has been friendly ,, she will stay friendly even while pregnant and after birth ,, some will grunt at you for messing with the nestbox ,, mild protectiveness I understand ,, but so far friendly remained friendly ,,,

I have had 3 different does ,, that were not real friendly to begin with ,, that after breeding became antisocial and actually agressive after having kits ,, jumping and grunting at me and trying to bite ,, being real protective of the nestbox and ,, just becoming real witches ,,, they were good mothers just a pain to take care of ,,,, so I sold them (with full disclosure on bad habits :eek: )

I wouldn't pick a doe up much or handle her too much in her last week before kindling ,,, just because I'd worry I'd hurt her or cause her to loose the babies ,,, most of mine will slack off eating those last few days ,, I guess because they are so uncomfortable with the babies crowded in there ,,