Everyone can grow IT but me!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Meg Z, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

What's your IT?

I grow orchids, get overrun with tomatoes, have melons and pumpkins everywhere, hostas planning hostile takeovers! What can't I grow? You'll never believe me! Mint! Spearmint, peppermint, from seeds, starts from friends, storebought in pots, it doesn't matter. Everywhere I've ever lived, I've planted it...and it dies. Wet soil, dry soil, well-drained, poorly drained, supposedly perfect damp, well-drained stuff? Nope. Full sun, part sun, shade. Makes no difference. Everyone else gets over run with mint, and I can't keep fresh mint to put in my tea! WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

After 20+ years of trying, I may give up now. Mom could only keep it going a year or two, then hers would die. Maybe it's genetic!

So, what can everyone around you grow, that you can't? Come on, there's gotta be something!

Meg

2. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

That is too bad. If you ever get a chance to drive by my place in SD you are welcome to dig up as much of any variety as you want. I actually felt guilty for not bringing clumps with me when I moved. I actually didn't want to because mine take over. I bought some of everything else. For me, it's ivy houseplants, and all varieties. I don't have problems with any other houseplants.

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Orchids. :( And they are so beautiful.

/VM

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I am overrun with mint as a 'mistake', since the closed container spilled onto the flower bed. It even is growing as part of the lawn. Has nice flowers this time of year. I bet the bees love it.

I can grow most things that can grow here, and then some. Most things I couldn't grow are limited by season lenght or the climate. One thing I had trouble propagating was saskatoon bushes. They grow wild here like crazy, but do you think I could grow a domesic cultivar???...no. :rolleyes: :shrug:

5. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Blueberries, melons and okra. We've tried growing all three for the last several years, but _______ happens. You fill in the blank, and it's probably happened. The most frustrating is the canteloupe. The first year we had our garden here, we were overrun with it. I made this delicious canteloupe sorbet. MIL has been asking for it every year since, but we just can't get any melons! :shrug: The blueberries have been killed by dog pee, dogs digging them out of the pots, drought, and other mysterious happenings. If I get them to take off, something else kills them. The okra? I never realized how much rabbits loooovvvveee baby okra plants. Can't keep them safe in the garden. I've even started them and transplanted them, which shocked them and they were shaded by everything else before they got a chance to grow again. Boo hoo. I love fried okra.

6. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I can't grow corn, even in a GOOD year, or zucchini (I know, I know- any idiot can grow zucchini, but I'm not just any idiot, I'm a SPECIAL idiot.)

Asian Lilies- it isn't that I can't grow them, but things happen to them. Twice, they were wiped out by floods, then, just as they were about to bloom, a TREE fell on them! (That's when I mowed them down)

Oh, my daughter brings me houseplants to kill. Yes, I'm that bad at growing houseplants.

7. shellbug

shellbug Well-Known Member

any houseplant - except for snake plant - i have one that i have had for about 20+ years - can't seem to kill it - never remember to water the poor thing and it has been depotted 3 times in the last 3 yrs - once by mice (yes mice) once by a wind storm that blew over my patio table and this year my 4 yr old boy depotted it at least a couple of months ago and it is still lying about with no dirt or water on its poor roots - but, it is sprouting a new sprout!!! it will survive!!!!

8. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Shellbug, bring it to me- I can kill it. Mine is dead, after only about 6 months (and it was a BIG one, when I bought it)

9. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

Asparagus. I've planted countless varieties using every method known to man - they just won't grow for me.

10. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Raspberries. I've spent a small fortune 4 years running and I kill em every time. :grit:

11. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I put squash in the ground in April and by June 1 EVERY #%$@!! :flame: squash bug in Texas finds it and kills it. EVERY YEAR this happens. I've sprayed it. I've moved it. I've made them a special raised bed away from the other veggies. I've picked those hateful things off and drown them each morning. I've paid the kids a nickel each to get them. I hate squash bugs. However, I can feed a developing nation with okra and peppers. Hmmmmm...does anyone want to trade?

12. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

They got all 15 of my acorn squash plants this year. Next year there is going to be some serious chemical warfare. :flame:

13. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I can grow pumpkins that would put any market gardener to shame, but squash? You'd think it was exotic, my luck there is hit and miss. Even zucchini, I plant 5 seeds and hope two come up!

14. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I completely understand! I can grow ANYTHING else! I mean everything else grows great! BUT NOT ZUCCHINNI! Can't spell the stuff either! LOL! I plant it every year and every year I only get a few plants! This year the rabbits got my squash plants and so I replanted them all....and somehow the yellow squash got mixed up with the zucs and I only have 2 measly sickly looking zuc plants that I have gotten 3 measley zucs off of! I am loaded down with yellow squash though.....so WHY is it only zucs that I have trouble growing! It happens every year! I never say a thing when they start telling the jokes about ditching zucs on the neighbors......because I am always secretly hoping someone will do the dump and run on my porch of zucs! I can keep cucs and maters going....I have grown every herb imaginable!....I can even grow african violets in the house like crazy.....but NOT zucs! It is a terrible embarrassment....and NOW you all know my secret! I am so ashamed! :eek:

:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

15. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

PLEASE come here and take some of my herbs. I have so many they are in the driveway.
    BTW< does your yard have verticulum wilt, Nan? That will kill zuchini. This year mine are turned around, white with green stripes. W/e.

16. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    My IT is rosemary. Can't grow the stuff in humid Kentucky, can't grow the stuff in semi-arid colorado.

Any other herb... just not rosemary.

17. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Sullen! I have just moved last year from Oklahoma to Virginia and this is the first garden we have had here. I had trouble with zucs in Oklahoma too! The only time I had any luck with them was when I bought the plants from Walmart in a huge pack of 23 or 24 plants. It was a 9 pack that they had way over seeded! Anyway...that was the only year that I had any luck with them at all. It is always something...this year it was the rabbits and when I replanted the things I somehow got yellow squash seeds by mistake in the goofy holes!!!! Several years it has been squash bugs...but this year they aren't too bad around here. Several years it has been that white mildewy stuff all over the leaves! I learned that they are spread by the bugs....so where there is one there is likely the other too! So.....anyway.......it will be my burden to carry I suppose! LOL!

18. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I feel soooo much better! (especially because of you folks who have zuke problems!)

Meg

19. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

That's me. If I don't move to a place where it's already growing I'll have to buy it or go without. Next year I'll try once again to grow asparagus.

20. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Hi Leslie,
    I used to get squash bugs really bad until A friend of mine came over with a spreader full of cow manure. About a foot deep and 24ft x 32ft. Haven't had a single one now in four years. I don't know if they were smothered, or if the manure made an environment they couldn't take or perhaps the soil moisture and fertility are better. maybe its all of those reasons. Before I got all that manure, my garden would get really hot and dry, and the only thing that would grow were hot peppers. Totally changed for the better and no more squash bugs!!!!