Everyday scours

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by LuckyStar, May 17, 2018.

1. LuckyStar

LuckyStar Member

I have a 80 lb lamb that I can't seem to get rid of her diarrhea. My original thought was that she was having a grain overload, but I cut back on the grain and fed her just hay for a few days,gave her 30ml of pepto twice a day, and gave her some electrolytes. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I am pretty sure that it's not cocci because it hasn't spread to the others.Unless cocci isn't always contagious? Could heat stress be the cause of it? If so, what can I do to prevent it (we have fans that are on 24 hours)? I am still giving pepto and electrolytes, which seem to barely do anything for her. I'd love to hear other ideas. She doesn't appear to be sick apart from the diarrhea, but I still don't want to risk losing her.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

She could have other parasites.
    Give her more Pepto Bismol and nothing else but hay and water.
    Try to get a fecal sample to see if there are worms.

3. LuckyStar

LuckyStar Member

That's a good suggestion! I've wormed her before with safeguard and valbazen, but she may just be due for another dose. By more pepto do you mean more dosage at a time or the same dosage more frequently? I fed her hay and water for tonight and we will see how well she does on that diet. I've never gotten rid of feed completely for a feeding, only reduced it a bit,so she is a very grumpy lamb. I really hope it's just a little worms causing this and not something more serious

4. Bearfootfarm

I'd double the dosage and keep the frequency the same for now.

Don't give her anything other than good dry hay and water until you see some improvement, then gradually add back small amounts of grain.

Grumpy is better than sick.
    She'll get over both with a little time. ;)

LuckyStar likes this.
  5. LuckyStar

LuckyStar Member

Thanks! I'll give that a try! I went to feed her hay this morning and she had drank almost all her water (an 8 quart bucket which I filled up last night). I'm glad she drinking, but her diarrhea has become more liquidy, could all the water causing that?

6. Bearfootfarm

It's not likely.
    It's normally parasites or diet that causes digestive problems in ruminants.

It can take time to get their system back to working correctly, and the fewer changes there are in their diet the easier that is to do.

Does she have access to free-choice minerals?

LuckyStar likes this.
  7. LuckyStar

LuckyStar Member

Yes, I give her unlimited access to producer's pride general purpose loose minerals. It's nothing fancy, but she seems to like to eat some when she's bored. Do you think that's helping or making things worse?

8. Bearfootfarm

The minerals will give her all the things in the electrolytes and will be easier on her stomach.

She eats it when her body tells her she needs it.

LuckyStar likes this.
  9. LuckyStar

LuckyStar Member

Ah that makes sense, I've seen her be laying down before then get up to eat some minerals. Silly me always figured she just got bored and wanted something to chew on. I'll do everything you suggested and hopefully (fingers crossed) this diarrhea goes away soon. Thank you, you've helped me out a lot!

10. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

What is the reasoning for not treating for coccidia?

LuckyStar likes this.
  11. LuckyStar

LuckyStar Member

I have other lambs that have been around this lamb and none of the others seem to be showing any signs/ symptoms. Her stool isn't bloody and doesn't seem to be at a loss of energy or dehydrated. I'm hesitant to give her medicine to treat cocci without other signs because the treatment I use can wipe out her good bacteria from what I've heard about Corid. I just want to try other options first before trying something a little more extreme.

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I would treat get a fecal test done or treat for the most likely thing, coccidia.

Untreated, the damage done to the intestine may be severe.

I never heard of the side effect you mentioned for Corid, and I used it for years.

http://www.corid.com/CoridProducts.html

LuckyStar likes this.
  13. LuckyStar

LuckyStar Member

It would be really hard for me to do a fecal test, since her stool is basically pure liquid. However, since I saw this message I went to the feed store to buy more Corid right before it closed. While I was there I bought a probiotic with added electrolytes to give after treatment which will hopefully help her recover either way. I drenched her with the first treatment of Corid.Thank you! I should have done that sooner just in case.