Ever used this round bale feeder?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Oct 11, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Lazy JV Ranch Collapsible Hay Feeder Has anyone ever used the collapsible round bale feeder? I'm thinking of buying 1-2 and thought I would see. What do you all use to feed round bales to horned goats?? I use cattle panels for the non horned does but for these things with horns that won't work at all. They'd be stuck in 5 minutes. Let me know what you think? I'm leaving friday mornin to get one if nothing seems bad about em......

2. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you have a lot of big goats that are gonna eat that bale fast, I don't see it being a real good idea. Round bales, especially ones that are short, tender 2+ crop, fall apart easily. Plus they can stand on the hay and everything else goats do to it a nyway. May as well feed it on the ground. What I would do if you want a feeder for horned goats would be to get 4-5 foot high 2x3 or 2x4 inch panels and then just cut in head holes like every 2 feet or such.

We feed rounds sometimes, but they are stored inside and I just fork out what I need, but doesn't take a whole lot for 12-15 mini goats! haha

They have some other nice equipment there tho, we just bought a hayrack like the 4 ft one on legs at our feedstore and it's perfect height even or the ND's and minis can put a 50-60 lb of hay in there too and not too bad for wastage.

3. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I also feed round bales, but store them away from goats and just fork portion off of them. I've never had sucess feedig free choice without a tremendous amount of waste and with the price of hay...