Ever used a small trailer for a milking barn?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sondra Peterson, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Ok heres the deal I have now inherited two small Spartan trailers. One is 30 ft in very good shape which I will gut and use for a milking parlor /cheese making (once I learn how) and soap making. Everything works in this trailer. the second is a 24 or 28 ft gutted with no working components except toilet but a sink could be put in. What do you all think abt using it for a milking barn if I put a floor in that could be cleaned easily am thinking using a resin water resistant coating. Any ideas pros or cons welcome.

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's a brilliant idea!! .. though an idea, would be to use the smaller trailer as your milking parlor and your larger trailer as your 'clean room' where you process your fabulous milk into other fabulous things.. you are going to have a blast with cheese :D
    I don't know if you hand milk or not, but you then you would only need lighting in the smaller one and maybe a small heater for our chilly Texas mornings.. :haha: rig the whole outfit so you could take the milk to the 'processing' trailer easily..
    If you went the resin water resistant coating method, you wouldn't have to cover as much floor either...
    and again, congratulations on your inheritance!! I'd love to see pic's when your done with it...!!

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We saw an old single wide set up for animals and it was very functional. The first thing the owner did was gut the interior walls to the studs. Next they added huge amounts of insulation (South Dakota) then put up ¾ tongue and groove flooring sheets for the walls, painting the ceiling and walls with white epoxy and the floor with beige epoxy. 3 8’ double tube cold start florescent light strips, 2 cove heaters, a small hot water tank, plumbing to their septic tank and the majority was done.

To deal with waste products they had an upward swinging trap door that had a wheelbarrow underneath for the sawdust and berries. Since this trailer was a burn victim they tore out the burned up side and put a double door so the entire back half was hay storage.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I heard of a guy in our state (pretty strict grade A requirements) who put together his grade A dairy for around $10,000 by using a purchased shipping container. Evidently it already had the impervious walls, ceiling and floor that are the most expensive part of the requirements.

5. Sondra Peterson

Well here in TX the rules are the same as for a cattle dairy however they do give you some leaway so I am going to call out our guy here and see if they will approve if I do something like Wombat has suggested. the insides of the smaller trailer has to be redone anyway so doing it right would be the way to go. I already have the plumbing in it and there is a heater (don't know if it works yet) has a bath room but we a couple of years ago took all the kitchen stuff out and have it in our cabin. The larger trailer has been lived in up until now. This 80yr old lived in it until earlier this month So it is mainly cleaning it up an getting rid of couches, chairs, etc. Then see if we have to epoxy the walls or anything for approval.
    Thanks everyone for your imput. If I can't get it approved at least I will have a clean place to work in and not in my kitchen. Think we will sit them back to back probably

6. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Are you trying for a Grade A dairy??

7. Sondra Peterson

Well Trying is the key word here Stacy I have all the specifications they have sent me but at this time don't have the finances to build the barns accordingly. So am going to call them once the trailers are over here and have them come out. If they won't work then it will be a few years before I would have everything to thier specifications which are the same as for dairy cows. like 8ft ceilings etc. However they checked out a friend of mine in E. TX and told her if she would milk in the open barn w/flys etc then they would certify her. You would have to see her set up to understand but she has this milk room in her barn and beautiful. AC sinks etc and indoor out door carpet on the floor now this was just for milking. They told her she couldn't milk in that room and needed to be on the cement outside the door to this room. Now the barn has a wide door way with no closure then on either side they have rooms for storage and this milk room in the back separate kiding stalls. But where they told her to milk was not inclosed so there naturally were flys. :eek: finally she asked if she could use the room made and sell it for animal consumption and the guys said yep and you won't be bothered by me at all. Go figure.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

growing up we had a trailer (mobile home) milking parlor and it worked great. We had a ramp up to the trailer that the girls would go up and there was a "waiting room" and a milking room. We only had 2 benches and a LOT of does. We didn't have running water or electricity, but it was a lot warmer than than where it was previously.

9. Sondra Peterson

Well anything will be better than what I have now, which is a 3 sided horse shed so can't control flys and gets down right chilly when we have freezing weather. I dried off my last does, last week because of 18 degrees here. So if I just can sell for animal consumption that is what I will do for awhile at least it will be warm w/ lights and water.