Ever use an Earth Box?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MOJILL, Apr 8, 2005.

1. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

I received an add today (I believe it was stuffed in my Countryside Magazaine) about Earth Boxes.

One box complete with aeration screen and water reservoir (?) can hold a couple tomato plants or up to 8 pepper plants. Lots of beans.

Anyone try this??

Any opinion??

thanks - - - jill

2. ipaint

ipaint Member

Hi Jill,
    I just started using them last month.
    March 10th:
    [​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]

I have eight going and am keeping track of my progress here:
    http://joansgarden.blogspot.com/

So far I love them. They are easy to take care of and easy to water.

Joan

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

At around $35 each, it seems kinda pricey for a plastic box. Especially when you consider that you have to buy all of that potting soil to put in it.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I got one for Christmas and am anxious to get started with it. Go to gardenweb.com and under container gardening their are whole thread discussing them and even how to make your own.....step by step directions with good photos. If I like what I have, I am going to make a bunch of them for on the deck. They cost about$7/each if you make them yourself.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

The latest issue of Countryside is out? Where's MINE???!!

Seriously, those do look nice, but $35 each is a bit out of my range. I'm going to check out the Garden Web directions and see if that's something I can handle.

Pony!

6. ipaint

ipaint Member

You do re-use the potting soil. When you are ready to plant another vegetable all you replace is the fertilizer strip.
    I did find the direction for making my own but the containers I would use (rubbermaid, etc.) last 1-2 seasons outside in the sun before cracking or breaking. I researched before I bought the earthboxes and found a couple people who have been using them for over 6 years and the plastic is still as good as when they were brand new. I hope to get at least 10+ years use out of them which makes them fairly cheap when the cost is spread over the years of use.

As long as the earthboxes continue to produce great results, I plan on buying my land (hopefully this summer or fall) and setting up my garden combining both the earthboxes and raised beds to grow food for my husband and I.

7. carolgi

carolgi New Member

I goofed or maybe not. I planted for first time in my earthbox placing the plants into the potting mix and not thinking covers. Now I purchased covers. Can I use my own plastic to do my own thing and save from ordering their covers or buying them local as it gets expensive with several boxes?

What method can you suggest to save $?

Also I didn't read instructions to water soil as I am putting it in, so watered from top. Hope that is ok?

Now my cukes are looking dry and my peppers too. I have to spray them down from top.

I would love to see these work, but I sure have tons of ground to not have to use th is investment too. I have them, so why not use.

Thanks.
    carolg

8. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

My dad has used these for several years now. He loves them. He saw them demonstrated while in Florida when they were first out on the market. Learned all about it, and fabricated his own.

The only drawback is, you have to water every day in the hottest parts of summer. That and, I think they tend to attract slugs.

9. modineg44

modineg44 Well-Known Member

10. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had my Earthboxes 7 yrs and use them to get earlier crops of tomatoes, cukes, etc. than from my veg. garden. Picka, you say you have to water every day, but that's not so because of the water resevoir. That's the beauty of it.

Making your own from cheap plastic does not hold up like these and probably would really bulge from the weight of the soil.

Carolgi, I use blk plastic trash bags to replace the original black plastic that comes with the boxes.

11. carolgi

carolgi New Member

Rita,
    Thanks. I thought the cover had to be breathable and plastic would not be the case. Doesn't get the soil too, too hot or is that what I want anyway? Appreciate your wisdom.

Any fertilizer for tomatoes? Organic my choice?

carolg colorado