Ever try a jerusalem artichoke hedge?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mountaineer, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Seeing that hedging is so costly, I'm thinking of trying this out. Of course it's only a summer hedge. I did tall sunflowers before and it was good, but they are so slow to start! I tried here but the pasture grew faster then the sunflowers- but I think JA's grow faster than that.....

Hey- and when it goes wild---- I have a stockpile of food!

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

good idea.
    I had a row of jerusalem artichokes growing on the south side of the poultry pen. The birds sure appreciated the shade from those tall plants in the heat of summer. It also attracted bugs the fowl could munch on. The bonus is harvesting some tubers to eat in the fall.

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I've a couple willow fences, but that site really offers some neat ideas- thanks for the link.
    I'm looking for a more long term privacy hedge. Cedars are just too expensive for the number I need, plus I think they are sort of trashy. I hate that ugly yellow/green. If only spruce/fir were bushier like cedar. They grow fast, but not fast enough!

5. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Bought several acres 4 years ago - hobby for hubby when he wasn't teaching during summer. Planned to build - sold instead. Had garden area with no windbreak whatsover. Planted Jer. artichokes and they did great. Didn't need to worry much about watering, multiply like crazy, though. Once you have one you have millions for life! Hubby like the taste of them cooked - I liked them raw in salads. Only problem we had was wire-worms. Drought-proof, too. Sprayed for said worms and all Ok. Wonderful windbreak - they WILL increase every year, though. Remember that - you have to want them; they don't disappear.