Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beyond tired of being alone all the time and having to do everything by myself. I've been looking, but I am not a liberal and that seems to be a prerequisite for a lot of them.

Are there any intentional communities that are more of a conservative mindset? I'm a natural teacher and I really enjoy passing on my skills. Hard to do that in this area. Though I have a lovely piece of property it is absolutely in the wrong part of the country. I just can't take weeks on end of 100+ temps like I used to.

What would be perfect would be something almost like a small town where everyone owns their own houses but they work cooperatively for the good of the community.....a bit like the Amish. There's been several I've found that I like, but I think my Libertarian/conservative tendencies would get me in trouble.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Unfortunately I would never have interest on communal living.

I'm just too independent and probably imposing my view
would be counter productive. 'Cooperating' at my workplace
makes me glad I have my own homestead to go at the end
of a day.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
I wish you luck with that and I'm not being a smart :censored: I sort of like the idea of communism with a small c. Unfortunately it has a habit of turning into Communism with a big C. That's fine for those that don't mind others running their lives and their country.

I wouldn't give up. Perhaps it would help to broaden the search and look for an unintentional community. That would be someplace that mirrors your values and has the other aspects you want. Road trip?

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not ever heard .of an unintentional community.

Yes I have those same concerns as I have a strong independent streak.

LOL....my friends would probably be sure that if I joined a commune that I'd take over and make everything much more efficient in the space of a year or less :D

·
newfieannie
9,632 Posts
I don't think I could either. too independent. I know what you mean though TM. I'm tired myself lately of trying to hold down 2 places and not getting enough done at either. somethings got to give. I just can't decide which one. ~Georgia.

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
Would just moving into an Amish area be close enough? They'd be good, trustworthy, supportive neighbors even if you weren't exactly part of the community the same way you are talking about. If it weren't for the faith differences and my addiction to the internet, I'd just join them :D

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
My use of the two words together is probably incorrect along with confusing. Communities have different "flavors." There's a very strong sense of community in this county. That's good and bad. You're not from around here is a strong under current. It determines who gets jobs and who gets leeway. Up to and including murder.

I've gotten an education for fifteen years. I didn't realize I'd graduated years ago. Up until about two years ago, I was socked in. That's over. If nothing else I've probably developed a wary eye for evaluating people and places.

I think you could put together a list much like those here that are looking for a place to "homestead." I'd change the criteria to include indicators of a community that would be more in line with what you're looking for without being a commune.

It might quite possibly have a heavy arts component and rustic aspect. Doe that make sense?

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
I've thought about it. This past year I have also lived with room mates.

As hard as it can be...I'm back to doing it all on my own lol.

I think a person would have better luck (but it still would be challenging) at befriending one or two people and living adjacent and just helping each other out...instead of some commune or community with laws and boards or groups or some thing.

I feel like I am getting jaded maybe. Or just...I guess, maybe the word is independent like everyone else lol. Most people just tire or bore me or tick me off. I feel like I am better off working and saving another year before the official journey than having to deal with other people.

It's not just "dealing" with them...it's that they will impact my life...and they would have to be an extraordinary person(s) for me to feel like they are a good part of it instead of some sort of obligation.

Getting crotchety in my spinster years :p

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it would seem like a large community would be a buffer. Just as the community we all live in now helps to buffer us from folks we don't care for. Pretty easy....just avoid them. If you are part of a very small group it is hard to avoid those that rub you the wrong way.

Yes Viggie, my internet addiction might interfere with joining the Amish as well. Otherwise it would probably be a bit scary how well I'd fit in :D Always harder for a single woman to fit into those sorts of situations though.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be much simpler if I could just find a great guy with about 6 kiddos he needs help raising. That might be enough to keep me from getting bored. Then I'd have my own little village :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Somewhat by chance, but also somewhat on purpose, I live in a setting where three of my neighbors are siblings, two are nephew/nieces, and one is a cousin. We all have acreage and homes, but also enough distance between us that we have a lot of privacy. Whenever I bug out for a trip (which I try to plan with their schedules in mind too), there's always someone around to keep an eye on things, including the livestock. Could you move near family TxMex and form your own little community.

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
It would be much simpler if I could just find a great guy with about 6 kiddos he needs help raising. That might be enough to keep me from getting bored. Then I'd have my own little village :thumb:
Well....come down to Dallas...I know the neighborhoods you can find those. lol

Oh wait...you said GREAT guy.....yeah I haven't found any of those....nevermind.... :D

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately I do live near family :facepalm:

They aren't all as evil as some of the others.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
my amish buddy has electric...and a tractor and horses...hes a rebel...!!!

he has also called me on his cellphone.....roflmao

wonder if theres special spots in hell for such behavior?..lol..dry joke yall...lol

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Reactions: TxMex

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Actually it would seem like a large community would be a buffer. Just as the community we all live in now helps to buffer us from folks we don't care for. Pretty easy....just avoid them. If you are part of a very small group it is hard to avoid those that rub you the wrong way.

Yes Viggie, my internet addiction might interfere with joining the Amish as well. Otherwise it would probably be a bit scary how well I'd fit in :D Always harder for a single woman to fit into those sorts of situations though.
I really dont think Amish would be welcoming or helpful to outsiders one little bit.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
the amish here are friendly and helpful to all their neighbors.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts