Ever seen one? Pretty cool... now how does it work?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jan 22, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, I can read the description, anyone know how it's used,
    just put it in the coop and fire her up or...?

[​IMG]

It's for sale on Ebay at this location: Brooder

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I've never seen a coal fired one. Most were kerosene, even a few alcohol ones. Very lightweight almost like laterns or tin cans. Something might be missing. They produce the heat very close to the floor, might be some sort of refector hood thingee to direct the heat down. Doesn't make sense with the fire that high up. Not much good for heating a big room, designed for rather small areas. Doesn't seem to fit the normal idea of producing heat like a mother chicken, more like a railroad cabosse stove.

What kind of coal???? Hard coal doesn't like to be fired in small batches, difficult to maintain a fire if throttled down.

Looks in super shape, hardly used. Grates look pristine. Maybe a failed idea in the market place. Don't think I would be buying. Maybe could try to make it into a hobby forge for small blacksmithing projects. Big stove pipe for that small of a stove too.

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Our brooder is propane and works great. I think I'll pass on that auction!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When that stove was made, you could buy coal briquets. They cost just a bit more than good coal and burned really well and left a minimum of ash. I don't know if they are available any more. Most brooder houses weren't over 200 sq, feet. A small fire would heat the entire building. You wouldn't dare have a hot firebox down where the chicks could touch it.