Ever seen a Mastiff without a tail

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by countryboy84, Jan 22, 2011.

1. countryboy84

countryboy84 Well-Known Member

Our female welped last night 7 really nice English Mastiff pups but one was born without a tail. I have never seen that befor with this breed. I have seen it with all most all others but never this one. Anybody seen this befor. I looks really good, but I am not about to start docing my mastiffs tails but she really does look good like that.

Muddyflews likes this.
  2. Cannon_Farms

Cannon_Farms Well-Known Member Supporter

No, not really but you should give the pup to me so no one can see his shame lol...
    Why dont we have bunches of mastiff puppy pictures???? Never can get enough especially watching those guys grow.

Maura and CountryMom22 like this.

3. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Well-Known Member Supporter

can you tell if it has a crook in its tail? or is it a real natural bob?

4. countryboy84

on dail up is why no pics takes 20 minutes a pic. May go to Moms house and put some on here soon.

Dead Rabbit it is a real natural bob tail. I saw it when it came out.

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

yep you should deffinatly send it to me, i would keep your poor dear out of trouble, and nobody would know lol, i need a new mastiff

6. jordan

jordan Well-Known Member

I've seen a Spanish Mastiff that was born with half a tail in EU. Just one of those things! She only had one litter and the pups all had normal tails.
    Lois

7. Oregon Julie

Oregon Julie Well-Known Member

In some breeds where short tails are not the norm the lack of a tail at birth can be a sign of other things not being right. Do you know for a fact that this pup has a functioning rectum for example?

8. countryboy84

yeah pups is fine everything normal other then no tail. I have had coonhounds walkers and bluetics that I have seen this with in the past. Made the best hunting dog I ever own and they noramly have a really long tail. I had a huntin buddy that would only buy natural bob tailed dogs and boy he pais a premium for them I have just never seen in with a mastiff.

9. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Boerbels...but then again, their tails are docked.

10. SilverFlame819

SilverFlame819 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope, never seen it in a Mastiff. My Border Collies have naturally short tails, and I do get some strange looks and comments from people about it. "WHY would you cut off a Border Collie's tail?" "They must not be purebreds!" etc...

11. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

We had a black male Mastiff on our farm when I was young. He was so big that I used to ride him around like a pony! LOL He had no tail. I don't know if he was born that way or if it was docked purposely. He was a WONDERFUL companion!!!

Muddyflews likes this.
  12. berrley

berrley Well-Known Member

A Mastiff with no tail would be great. Our Mastiff used to inflict pain on us daily with that weapon. They are at a really bad height.

kalmara likes this.
  13. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

There was an English Mastiff if the obedience class with my Great Dane and he had no tail, naturally. I thought that they docked it for sure but they said he was born without it.

Agree with the comment about their tails being painful! We are on our second mastiff and we avoid the tail for that reason and the mouth because of the slobber!

Muddyflews likes this.
  14. Muddyflews

Muddyflews Member

A few years late to the conversation, but I recently learned that a Mastiff from our 2009 litter had a natural bob-tail pup in her litter. One of the founding Mastiffs in the breed in 1835 had a bob-tail also, historic Mastiff types are important for our preservation breeding program, if anyone is still around and has any recollection of these bob-tailed Mastiff I'd love to learn more!

15. ihuntgsps

ihuntgsps Well-Known Member

Had a perfect English mastiff male pup that was born with a natural bob tail. 4 years later "Stubby" is still a healthy, awesome dog. I wish all Mastiffs had bob tails...would be easier to live in the house without them knocking everything over.

Muddyflews likes this.
  16. Muddyflews

Muddyflews Member

Thanks ihuntgsps for your reply! My girl lives in Iowa too, I wonder if she is Stubby's Momma?

Attached Files:

17. Muddyflews

Muddyflews Member

Our girl Kami's bobtail puppy is named "Doc" so not the same pup; still happy to read about others. Thanks again everyone for sharing yours.