Ever rent out land?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JAK, Nov 11, 2005.

1. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Sounds like in return for leasing out the land you are getting the fence repaired, the land fertilized, and perhaps a freezer full of meat. What would you do with the land in the same time period?

2. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an old thread ( 6mo) about this?

Run a search. I think there were some very thought provoking answers.

These here are, too. No toe stepping here.

3. greenbean

greenbean Well-Known Member

Consider your privacy. I am a very private person myself, and regrettably, once I rented out 5 acres to a fellow for his horses. The land also had a small pond and a small pole barn. By and by he got to be a pest. coming at all hours, cutting across the driveway, bringing in friends. walking across my yard, added mules to the horses.. Boy i'll never do that again

4. luckysranch

luckysranch Well-Known Member

Normally rent in MO is by the head - with a maximum number allowed. Some renters are great and can improve the property with their efforts or they can be a pest. It is really not a money making adventure for the land owner. I just find it strange that he would be interested in just a few acres. Depending on where the land is located, I wouldn't expect it would support more that 1 or 2 cows. I hope he doesn't want to feed them hay/grain all the time. Many people here severely overstock their property. Does he not own any land?

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

If you are considering renting to him take a look at his place before you do. Look at how well kept his fences are and what condition his animals are in. It will give you a good idea of what to expect from him.

Is there water? Well? Pond? How often is going to check on them? Ask questions.

Rent can be by the head or by the acre. If by the acre he can put what ever amount of animals he wants in . If by the animal you can specify how many animals. Ask the Ag agent what the going rate for rent is in your area. If possible do a year contract so if you aren't happy with him you are only stuck for a year. He may want more than a year if he is putting time and effort in fencing. Most contracts are three to five years. That's fair if he is having to do a lot of fencing.Give a date in and a date out. If your start date is May 1 then rent starts May 1 not when he gets around to putting them in. That's his problem.

We specify how many animals we want in a particular year depending on the pasture condition. We can also say when they leave. Contract is to Nov 1 but if pasture is getting too short we can sent them home early to keep from over pasturing. Good renters don't want to over pasture because it hurts them also. The pasture won't be as good the following year and they may not be able to rent again.

Sounds like he just wants to put a few weaned calves on your place and not cows. He may just need a place separate from the rest of the herd. Calves are notorious fence crawlers and will try to get back with the rest of the cows if they can see them.

6. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure he has liability insurance in case one of the calves gets out and gets on a road, or otherwise causes problems -- kid gets into the yard and gets kicked, or an "old enough" bull calf gets out and breeds the wrong cow, etc. etc. As the owner of the land, someone could try to hold you responsible if his fencing isn't adequate. Even if your contract is iron clad and holds him responsible, you may end up in court anyway. Even if you're just a witness, it's still a big hassle.

Also, make sure you're willing to deal with stuff if he's not there. If the calves get out, are you willing to round them up in the morning and end up late to work? Or if a calf gets hurt, are you willing to stay home and deal with it until the owner gets there or the critter gets doctored by a vet? Will you be liable if you see a problem, say, and leave a message on his voice mail and he doesn't get to fixing it right away and you don't do it for him? (i.e., "Hey, bud, your calves are jumping the fence -- better come and fix the fence, I put 'em back in but they're gonna jump out again in a few minutes." He doesn't get the message. You know of the problem, but go to work anyway rather than spending hours restretching fence. Calves jump out and get hit on the highway. Or, alternately, you stay, fix the fence, call into work, spend half the morning pulling fence which is SUCH a fun chore, and in the process, you po your boss ...)

Cows are far worse on a fence, BTW, than horses.

Leva