Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hauling personal things to Arkansas for two trips now. Clothes and reloading equipment, guns mostly. Got home today to find that I have a box of gun powders and another box of primers hidden away--I'd forgotten where they were.

Came across some 30-30 shells a fellow had given me years ago--I don't own a 30-30, I shot a 35 Remington, so I hauled these over to a buddy who has a Contender with a 30-30 barrel. Came home with a watermelon---even trade I'd say.

Do you remember where all your "stuff" is?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was looking for my garden spade for cleaning out my chimney and stove. I destroyed half the stuff in the shed before I remembered it's still at the house in town.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
I generally know where most everything is. Or...it seems that way because the kids are always asking me where things are. Someone has to be the inventory keeper...

·
newfieannie
9,653 Posts
I lost a pair of shoes for 3 months found them about a week ago. don't know how I missed them. they were sitting on a chair by my bed. trying to find my snow shovels for several days to have them out on the deck and at the downstairs door when I need them. took everything out of 2 sheds and put it all back in before I remember I stored them behind the shed last year.

lost car keys for a year before I found them when I cleaned out the freezer. the worst was when I couldn't find a chicken last summer. I knew I bought one but after searching for ever I gave up and figured I left it at the store. until I started smelling this god-awful smell in the car.

I've lost a pair of antique wire cutters now that I use for my crafts. suppose they'll turn up sometime. then I get stuff that I don't even own. somebody slung 2 rakes and a shovel on my front walkway Friday night ~Georgia.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I lost a pair of shoes for 3 months found them about a week ago. don't know how I missed them. they were sitting on a chair by my bed. trying to find my snow shovels for several days to have them out on the deck and at the downstairs door when I need them. took everything out of 2 sheds and put it all back in before I remember I stored them behind the shed last year.

lost car keys for a year before I found them when I cleaned out the freezer. the worst was when I couldn't find a chicken last summer. I knew I bought one but after searching for ever I gave up and figured I left it at the store. until I started smelling this god-awful smell in the car.

I've lost a pair of antique wire cutters now that I use for my crafts. suppose they'll turn up sometime. then I get stuff that I don't even own. somebody slung 2 rakes and a shovel on my front walkway Friday night ~Georgia.
well maybe its a hint that your yard needs work!

·
Super Moderator
13,686 Posts
I found my four quart travel bar case in the back corner of the storage closet the other day. I haven't seen it since I moved here and my ex stored it.

Best part on finding it I noticed that the bourbon, vodka and gin bottles were all about half full. The vermouth had turned bad over the years but the bourbon is still tasty.

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
I have things in storage and don't get to it often. But when I do.....at least once if not three times I find myself saying, "Well.....now I have two."

Usually I don't "lose" something, I actually forget I have it at all.......somewhere LOL.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
I found my four quart travel bar case in the back corner of the storage closet the other day. I haven't seen it since I moved here and my ex stored it.

Best part on finding it I noticed that the bourbon, vodka and gin bottles were all about half full. The vermouth had turned bad over the years but the bourbon is still tasty.
Now there's a man with his priorities in order.

Reactions: Ardie/WI

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
If I lose track of something, the best way to find it is buy a new one. That's why I have seven hammers.

Mon

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this is so funny!!!!!!~ Wreck, Barb has a pair of glasses at every sitting place in the house!!!! Georgia; Barb refers often to my "storage chair" beside the bed--I think it is normal and useful, she thinks it is a male atrocity. I'm gonna tell her about your storage chair.

Mon, I have three hammers sitting just outside my kitchen door and at least one other in the barn---somewhere.

I may find my lost phone when we clean out the freezer.
Ox

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I think this is one reason why I tend to be a minimalist (though you can't tell it looking around my place at the moment). The fewer things you have....the easier it is to find stuff. I'm working on organizing my storage container. I'll need something....know I have it....then give up and go buy another one. Drives me crazy!

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
I think this is one reason why I tend to be a minimalist (though you can't tell it looking around my place at the moment). The fewer things you have....the easier it is to find stuff. I'm working on organizing my storage container. I'll need something....know I have it....then give up and go buy another one. Drives me crazy!
That's me too. A minimalist, to a degree. Whenever I think about something I want/need, or would like to build, I'm always weighing its usefulness against if it has more than one application. It's easier to think of all the uses one object has than to think of all the places I might've stored ten different things.

Reactions: TxMex

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I'm good for setting something down, just for a second, and promptly losing it. I lost a fresh cup of coffee one morning and my favorite cup. This was in a 16x24 foot, one room cabin. Couldn't find it no matter how hard I looked. I found it a couple of days later, in a laundry basket. :)

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
That's me too. A minimalist, to a degree. Whenever I think about something I want/need, or would like to build, I'm always weighing its usefulness against if it has more than one application. It's easier to think of all the uses one object has than to think of all the places I might've stored ten different things.
Yes! Sometimes you have to have something because there is no substitute for it, but I am always trying to make things do double duty.

I had an adventure summer before this last one and traveled up to Montana and back down through Utah and Arizona back over to Texas in a camper van. Spent a bit over a month in Wyoming.

I did lots of boondocking on BLM land. Spent a few months in traveling and set up camp for a week or so at a time. Because of the small space I really had to make everything do double or triple duty. An experience like that will really change your mind set.

·
newfieannie
9,653 Posts
well maybe its a hint that your yard needs work!
have you seen my yard? best one on the street! I figured it was stolen . the cops were after them and they ditched them at the first opening. I did hear the sirens that night. I could be wrong too. ~Georgia.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Not really my stuff, but I'm reminded of something that got lost when my oldest was just a little guy. About four years old, I think.

My sister, who is, shall we say, a bit of an extremist, gave him a Barbie doll for Christmas. The idea, you see, was to enlighten him; broaden his future tolerance mindset; and generally, just diversify his world view. Good thing to drum into the head of a 4 yr old who just wants to play.

Well, it came up missing. Never did find it. Years later he fessed up and told me he threw it down the heat vent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts