Ever heard of a antiparasite herbal remedy?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I read an article by "Joseph Sterling" editor of "Secrets of Robust Health" that said that 90% of all americans had multi parasites in there system especially in the Colon and small intestine.

What do you think? any truth to it? Ever heard of a herbal cure? Any and all opinions asked for.

Kenneth in NC

2. charles

charles Well-Known Member

Kind of depends on what you mean by parasites.

Your gut is (or should be) full of good bacteria. You'll from time to time get some protozoan (amoeba, giardia, etc.) that usually won't be with you that long anyway. I assume you're not talking about larger stuff like tape worms or pinworms.

Anyway, there are a number of plants that kill or help you get rid of parasites. Many legumes are good becuase some of their chemical constituents are isoflavones (like formononetin) that keep the protozoans from staying attached (like cranberry juice does for the bladder and ureters. Red Clover should be good for this. Goat bush (Amargosa) is very good for amoebas.

3. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Check out curezone.com.

4. Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) got its name from its ability to dislodge intestinal parasites. It is among the most bitterest herbs known and can be used as a substitute for hops in beer. I believe it is still used to flavor vermouth.
    Years ago, a very strong drink called absinthe was made with wormwood. Wormwood contains a chemical called thujone that is similar to THC. It is widely rumored that Van Gogh was enjoying absinthe when he decided to try "do it yourself" ear surgery. Take home lesson….. this stuff can be dangerous. Best not to fiddle around with it.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Quackwatch.com will open your eyes to the research available and you can then make an imformed decision.

As a practicing herbalist, I recommend prevention as a matter of course. I have never seen anyone with internal parasites as a client. And I cannot tell you one person that I know that has suffered from internal parasites.

6. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

I have a master herbalist degree and have used parasite cleanses. My family has experienced occaisions of problems with parasites and I have worked with friends that have had bouts with them. Years ago, I would have never even considered or dreamed that some of our personal health issues may have been parasite oriented.....it sounded far out. I have since learned that it truly can be a real factor in health problems, because they can disguise themselves in so many symptoms. Symptoms could be constipation/diarrhea. Giardia being a major cause in all children's cases of diarrhea. Indigeston, gas, vomiting, weight loss and bloating are also common gastrointestinal symptoms. After doing the cleanses one must take beneficial flora. Actually symptoms of parasitic infection can include every area and system in the body, symptoms that may seem completely unrelated to a parasitic infection may very well be caused by them. Some of the herbs used to get rid of parasites are: Garlic, black walnut, elecampane, pumpkin seed, wormwood, artemisia annua, eucalyptus, turmeric root, ginger, peppermint and senna. My farmer hubby has gotten beef tape worm from working with cattle. It is extremely easy to get a parasite from drinking water. Parasite infection is mostly ignored by the US medical community as something that only third world countries have a problem with. Marilyn, the farmer's wife..........

7. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Have seen the ad. Talk about scarey! Forget it. Worked in hospital, and never, ever heard of anyone commenting on round worms, humoungous tape worms, etc. Your vet will examine poop from the animal patient before recommending worming. Same for people. If you are really worried, take a sample of poop to be examined for worms before spending any money or subjecting your body to "cures".