Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I moved to Ava, Missouri from Arizona around forty years ago. Ava is a small nondescript town in Southwest Missouri that isn't known for much but is the world headquarters of the Missouri Fox Trotter horse breed association.

I lived in Ava on and off for 10 years. While there I became acquainted with Ramey Smith, a rancher with about 1000 acres North of town. He was friends with my in-laws. I helped him on his place on occasion. One of the things that I helped him with was building a working corral, built of solid, rough sawn, native oak.

The Ozarks region is known for being rough land and Ramey's choice of corral site was very much that. We had to use dynamite to blast the post holes. If you've never attempted to drive a ring shank nail through a 2X6 oak board into an oak post, I can tell you, it's neither easy nor fun.

Well, we got it built and it was an impressive coral. He put a roof over it too.

Awhile later, Ramey bought some calves weighing around 400 or better to background for the summer in the hopes of putting a few hundred pounds on them. I helped him run them through the chute and work them up. Worm, vaccinate, whatever was needed.

A sizable whiteface came through the chute and we worked him with no noticeable problems. It was when we let him out of the chute that one of the weirdest things I ever saw happened.

That steer tore down the alley and when he came to the turn at the end, instead of turning right he tried to jump the coral. He was at a dead run and he reared up on his hind legs, went nearly straight vertical and fell backwards onto his back, dead as a hammer. He had caught his nose between the 2X6's and broken his neck on the way up.

There went Ramey's potential profits on pretty much the whole bunch.

Registered
we bought a load of simmentals from out west one time. years and years ago. they hadnt really ever seen people til they got on the truck. we were running them through the chute for vaccines, tags and tattoos..they were a wild flighty bunch. one cow stood up on her back feet, trying to jump out of the chute. the boss yelled to knock her down so she doesnt get loose...neighbor kid who was helping, had a hammer in his hand. he smacked her on the head with the hammer and apparently hit her just right. she dropped dead on the spot. about half way up the chute. had to stop the processing line to tear the chute apart to get her out. that was fun. lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we bought a load of simmentals from out west one time. years and years ago. they hadnt really ever seen people til they got on the truck. we were running them through the chute for vaccines, tags and tattoos..they were a wild flighty bunch. one cow stood up on her back feet, trying to jump out of the chute. the boss yelled to knock her down so she doesnt get loose...neighbor kid who was helping, had a hammer in his hand. he smacked her on the head with the hammer and apparently hit her just right. she dropped dead on the spot. about half way up the chute. had to stop the processing line to tear the chute apart to get her out. that was fun. lol

That sounds like it must have been fun getting her out.

Be powerful. No other option exists.
We were working our cattle through a metal chute system and one horned cow got her head and horns UNDER the bottom rail and was completely stuck. I tried to turn her head to free her and broke her neck. I was about 115 pounds at the time. It took a few minutes to convince the men on the job that I had killed her.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were working our cattle through a metal chute system and one horned cow got her head and horns UNDER the bottom rail and was completely stuck. I tried to turn her head to free her and broke her neck. I was about 115 pounds at the time. It took a few minutes to convince the men on the job that I had killed her.

Cattle can do some strange things. It just goes to prove that one should be extremely cautious around large, powerful, unpredictable animals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts