Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's 2:30 in the morning and I've yet to go to bed... I swear I keep hearing this thumping outside. My dogs, who usually stay pretty quiet through the night, keep barking every now and then. I have gone out several times trying to figure out what, if anything, is bothering me... last time the biggest, scariest bug I've ever seen came flying at me with the loudest whir you would think a bug could make; jumpy me squeaked and dropped to the porch floor to avoid the freaky thing. :p Intruder beware, lol. Fear me, I might squeak at you.

Anyway... keep going to check on DH and the animals, double checking windows and locks... ugh. Hair on the back of my neck has been standing straight up all night and it's making me nuts. My two most useless dogs are inside with me (the sheltie pup and geriatric wimpy mutt), but they do make me feel a little better... of course, the cat keeps running up to me all puffy-furred and panicky, so she's not helping. Maybe just something up under the front porch...

Anyone else ever get this way? Do you ignore it and go to sleep, or are you like me and too worried *something* will happen if you're not awake and keeping an eye out? Ever been really glad you listened to a hunch like this?

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Yep - I have had feelings like that and stayed up all night. Usually to no avail - just a leftover from something that's been bugging me during the day.

But I still always listen to the gut feelings - you never know when you're going to be right - especially if the cat's acting funny

hoggie

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'd be up all night until I knew what it was, or daylight came up and the wherewolves go away.

How large a "something" can fit under your porch? Cats usually don't get freaked out by skunks or raccoons or possums.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naturewoman said:
How large a "something" can fit under your porch? Cats usually don't get freaked out by skunks or raccoons or possums.
When we first moved in, we had a mama cat with a litter in our bathoom; *something* was under the house, DH said it sounded like hair moving (porcupine? but, under the porch? :shrug: ) and it's thumping certainly sounded large. Whenever it started, she went ballistic at it, screaming and hissing for all she was worth.
I do know we had a skunk under there for awhile, our porch is elevated with just wood covering an empty space down to the ground; all it takes is whatever critter wants under to dig under that wood and they have a ready made den.
We do have lots of coyotes out here, maybe there's one lurking about and my pets sense it or something... I swear something's messing around out front, but I never see anything. I hear thumps, Bowie the dog does his "I'm going to eat you" bark, and I hear a mad scuffle and it's gone.

Ugh... no coyotes here, please... maybe a possum or raccoon in the front garden? :grump:

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I hope when you go out checking you have protection and a light. Of course if it's human and they have a weapon the the light would let them know where to shoot. :rolleyes:

A couple weeks ago, I heard loud rumbling noises. Got up and at 4:00 a.m. there were several 4 wheelers driving by, laid back down and a few minutes later they came back. I got up because they have been giving up problems tearing up the road. (They don't live in this sub-division) I stayed up the rest of the morning and they drove by about 6 or 7 times. Just back and forth.

But what are you gonna do call the cops and say someone is driving on our road? They would just laugh at me. I called one time because someone was sooting a gun close to the house. It took the police 45 minutes to get here. By then the person was gone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i hate things that go bump in the night. feel compelled to check it out.
my old man heard got tired of the coyotes making noise while he was trying to sleep so he stepped out on the porch to shoot off the shotgun. didnt bother turning on the light. suddenly something licks him up the leg. he fell off the porch getting away. a stray puppy had wandered onto the porch probably one step ahead of the coyotes. smartest dog they ever had.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Ever find out what it was?

I used to live alone in a mobile home in the edge of the woods behind my parents' house. Once I heard someone walking around behind my home in the woods. Every time I called out it would stop. Finally got the courage to grab a light and throw open the back door. There stood the neighbor's horse. He'd gotten through the fence and I guess every time I called he would stop and listen.

Another time I kept hearing rustling in the woods behind the house. When I threw open the back door a covey of quail burst into the air and nearly scared the daylights out of me!

Yet another time when my first husband and I were living there the smoke alarm went off in the middle of the night. He got up and checked the whole trailer, but couldn't find anything. After he came to bed and we were lying there in the dark I whispered that it could have been someone just outside the open hall window smoking a cigarette. LOL...he got his rifle and put it next to the bed and didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night.

·
Gardener
245 Posts
I sometimes get eerie feelings when outdoors at night... Usually, I find cougar tracks all over the place in the morning.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SouthWesteader said:
I sometimes get eerie feelings when outdoors at night... Usually, I find cougar tracks all over the place in the morning.
Oh, gee, thanks. :p
Never did figure out what it was, either... just hope it's gone and has no intention of returning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts