Evening surprise -large pic warning

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Thatch, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I don't spend much time on this forum but I know how much you all seem to like these pics, and well, it's a chance to show off so....

Came home from work last night to feed the animals. Glanced off the the side to see what at first I thought was a dead chicken in one of the sheep pens. Obviously if that was the case I wouldn't be here. This is what I found instead

[​IMG]

This is a Karakul ram lamb. Probably only about 2 hours old at this point (judging by it's state when I found it).

[​IMG]

And here he is with Mom.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of his fleece. Karakuls are the source for Persian lambs wool.

I know there aren't many Karakul keepers on the board so I thought there might be some interst in seeing these pics. Sorry they are so big. I'm on my laptop and don't have any editing software on this system.

Hope they are of interst to someone.

J

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Too cute. They remind me of Icelandics

Patty

3. luvfarmin04

luvfarmin04 Well-Known Member

What a beautiful baby! Looks nice and healthy! How many more are you expecting?

4. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

They ARE beautiful! I want some!!! Do they all start out curly like that?

5. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Adult conformation is quite a bit different then icelandics. Haven't seen newborn icelandic lambs though.

Thanks, though I can assure you, I had nothing to do with it. :p We have 5 more exposed ewes by the same ram. Karakuls aren't the easiest to see carrying though (hence the surprize with this one)

Thank you...and I've got some for sale. :D Yes, they do all start out like that. It's really a beautiful lambs wool, very silky and glossy, which is why they are raised specifically for that lambs wool. Of course it looks a bit better when it's cleaned up a bit...

J

6. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Beautiful baby!!! Congratulations! I've never seen one of those and by the looks they are beautiful sheep. I may have to go on the net and check them out.

7. Tonya

Tonya Guest

I don't know a lick about goats, but I sure know CUTE...and you have almost TOO MUCH CUTE in those pics!!

Congrats!

8. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

What a gorgeous lamb ! (and mama too )
    Isn't color fun ??

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Congrats on the fine lamb!

10. The_Shepherdess

The_Shepherdess Alannaeowyn

11. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Thatch, on the midnight surpise and the fact that you're raising a wonderful breed. I understand they were nearly destroyed as the lambs used to be pulled from the uterus of the ewe prior to being born to get their wool. Is that correct? There was a lady at our recent holiday sale that had reclaimed fur coats that she'd turned into teddy bears; a couple of them were persian lamb.

12. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Moses (he was quickly named by the kids) is doing fine. He is feeding well and getting stronger by the day. Mom is doing a great job as predicted. Now, onto the replies...

There isn't just a whole lot out there. They are pretty rare in the developed world but all too common through central asia and steppe regions. They have a tall lean conformation that tends to rise to the hind quarters and as adults have a double fleece. The lambs wool is prized for all sorts of garments but as adults the fiber is mainly used in more rugged products such as rugs, it also felts very well. Most unique aspect of the karakuls is they are 'fat tailed' sheep meaning that they have fat stores in their thick tails which is used similarly to a camel's hump. Being desert sheep it is of particular benefit. They are in all likelihood the oldest domestic sheep breed (dating to more than 1400 bc) yet still very primitive, meaning they are not very dependent on their keepers like many western breeds. They really are quite easy to handle, I prefer them quite a bit to our jacobs in temperament

I need to get 'round to putting up a website on the karakuls and some good pictures of our flock. Most of the pictures on the web of them are small, out of focus or both.

Thanks Tonya. We sold our goats about 2 weeks before they started dropping so it was nice to have some of our own dropping here.

The mama is Michael one of our (reddish) blond ewes. Our ram Cognac, is a black bodied silver back (think of a mountain gorilla version of a sheep) so thats where Moses got his color from. Black is the most common undercoat color that I've seen in the US karakuls. We have brown, black, blond and variegated in our flock. If someone throws a silver we will have hit the jackpot (not in monetary terms, they are just not known to happen in US flocks much, if all)

Thanks Bear and Shep

Thanks kesoaps. We have always been drawn to the odd and unique. (at least that's what my wife always says... I think she's talking about the livestock) The lambs are pulled early and in many cases the expectant ewes are slaughtered to harvest the lambs ineutero. (of course they are also raised as a meat source so the animal doesn't go to waste). However this does introduce some problems for continuing the breed and maintaining the best breeding stock. There are less than 2000 karkuls, with 5 or 6 bloodlines in the US at this time, but there have recently been artificial insemination breedings going on with imported lines. (access to the stock has increased with so many Americans currently in western and central Asia).

There currently aren't enough karakuls in the states to even consider persian wool production (they were first imported for the purpose but never at high enough numbers to sustain that use). My wife does have a persian lambs wool coat (with mink cuffs and collar) that she bought at a vintage clothing store several years back. We got them mainly for wool production (for felting mainly) and to be involved in the breeds propagation. Culls will go to freezer camp of course but we'd prefer to find new homes for all the conforming animals that we don't need for our set up.

We shall see...

J

13. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

:p Dh likes to tell people I only bring crazy or strange animals home...and of course you know what their response is to that! :rolleyes:

14. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

What a gorgeous baby! I just want to reach through the screen and touch him. There is a lady near my town who breeds Karakuls but I've not met her in person. I didn't realize they were so rare in the states.

15. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

grabbed some more pics of Moses. He seems to be doing just fine, feeding well and starting to get his feet under him enough to start playing a little.

[​IMG]

and 'Dad'

[​IMG]

this is Val a yearling that shows off the color range that can happen on the "black" karakuls.

[​IMG]

J

16. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

They are gorgeous! I also love unique, have been contemplating sheep and would love to know where you are geographically located.

17. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Since some of you here have Icelandic, maybe you won't mind a slight thread drift.

Is it just me, or does Icelandic feel exactly like alpaca when you are spinning it? I couldn't believe it. Maybe it's just me.

donsgal

18. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

They are gorgeous, now my heart has a contender for the Icelandics... but I doubt they are milked! :) Thanks for the pictures and PLEASE get a website up soon so we can all drool over them!

I'll second the question - where are you located?

19. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

Hi Thatch,Do you take the pelts from any of these lambs,or are you strictly a pet flock?Regards,John.

20. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Those are beautiful sheep!! What is the temperament like on the rams?