Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foxes and Fossils, a band out of the Atlanta area, is one of my favorite current bands. They do almost exclusively covers of older songs. The musicians are older guys who have been playing together for years and the 3 lead singers are girls in their 20's. Tim and Garwin also sing lead on some songs, so they actually have 5 lead singers.

The band was started by Tim as something fun to do with his daughter Sammie. At the time I think Sammie was 14. Tim asked another young girl, Maggie, from choir to join them. The harmonies of Tim, Maggie, and Sammie were beautiful. Tim got a restaurant to let them play and they invited friends and family. As they say, the rest is history.

When Maggie went off to college, another young girl, Chase, joined the band. They continued for a while, and then when Sammie was in college the band finally stopped playing.

A couple of years ago, Maggie noticed their Youtube videos view count was rapidly increasing. She talked to Tim and they decided to get the band back together including all 3 girls, but since they were now scattered across 5 states, they became a virtual band. They are now one of the top cover bands on youtube with several songs that have over 2 million views.

So here's my question for you. Can a band be too good? When you are playing Rock n Roll, should the vocals be perfect or should there be a rawness to them? I'm going to post 2 songs they did, one in which I think the vocals fit the song perfectly and one where I think the perfect vocals take away from the song. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
I enjoyed both songs and would love to hear something they did that is original.
Auto tune and computer tech have removed any organics from modern music post 2000.
Great drummers who will go down in music history, did not keep perfect time.
One can measure the drumming from a typical Led Zeppelin or Beatles song and see that John Bonham and Ringo may have been markedly faster in the 1st verse than the 3rd, etc.
It is a wonderful advancement that true amateurs can now produce music remotely, separately and expertly, but not when it is packaged and "engineered".

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Try this one, the very 1st song they ever performed. I think it may be that their live performances are better than their studio performances when rawness is needed. On slower songs, the studio versions may be a little better.

I enjoyed all three songs but I agree with GTX63 that I'd like to hear something original. It's hard to judge a band on a cover because there is always the tendency to compare them to the original artist. I went to YouTube to see if they had something original up but it seems they only do covers.

If they are wise, they will put the woman with the long brown hair out front as the lead singer. Her voice outclasses the other two women's.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I enjoyed all three songs but I agree with GTX63 that I'd like to hear something original. It's hard to judge a band on a cover because there is always the tendency to compare them to the original artist. I went to YouTube to see if they had something original up but it seems they only do covers.

If they are wise, they will put the woman with the long brown hair out front as the lead singer. Her voice outclasses the other two women's.
Tim, the leader, has another band which all the guys are in. They do some of Tim's original songs as well as covers. Foxes and Fossils had always just been a hobby band doing covers, just for fun. They became successful without ever intending to, so decided to stick to what got them there which is doing covers.

Let me give you 2 more songs with the other 2 girls singing lead. Maggie, who sang lead in Harvest Moon is brilliant at the slower songs really giving it the right emotional quality. Sammie, who is the one that sends their harmonies over the top, is also a very good lead singer. She is the storyteller of the singers. Chase is the youngest and last to join the group, and is the best overall and technical singer of the 3, but not quite as good when it comes to emotion or storytelling IMO. Make sure you listen to the entire Love is the Answer track.

Here's Sammie singing lead on John Prine's Angel from Montgomery

Here's Chase singing lead on Todd Rungren's Love is the Answer

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tim, the leader, has another band which all the guys are in. They do some of Tim's original songs as well as covers. Foxes and Fossils had always just been a hobby band doing covers, just for fun. They became successful without ever intending to, so decided to stick to what got them there which is doing covers.

Let me give you 2 more songs with the other 2 girls singing lead. Maggie, who sang lead in Harvest Moon is brilliant at the slower songs really giving it the right emotional quality. Sammie, who is the one that sends their harmonies over the top, is also a very good lead singer. She is the storyteller of the singers. Chase is the youngest and last to join the group, and is the best overall and technical singer of the 3, but not quite as good when it comes to emotion or storytelling IMO. Make sure you listen to the entire Love is the Answer track.

She is so good!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

They are nice but the brunette one (Maggie?) just has, in my opinion, something the other two don't.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are nice but the brunette one (Maggie?) just has, in my opinion, something the other two don't.
I agree. She went to one of the top music schools in the country, but went into management rather than performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts