Euonymus

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Abouttime, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

I planted 4 Emerald Gaiety Euonymus and 4 Emerald n Gold Euonymus 3 weeks ago. The Gaiety looks great-the Gold not so good-foliage is turning brown. All were planted exactly the same way along the same fence line. Any suggestions?

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Look very closely at the underside of the leaves ans stems. Is there any "white" stuff? If so, then you are probably looking at Euonymous scale. That can move through hundreds of plants in a few weeks time and kill everything. The problem in controlling scale is that the insect can be in all four life stages at any given time on your plants. It only eats in two of its stages. Extremely prolific. You could use a systemic insecticide sprayed once a week for four weeks. Don't miss any of the weeks. Another less toxic way is to spray them with dormant (all season oil). Make sure that you coat as much of the leaves and stems as you can. It acts like liquid fly paper. If you notice any nodules or round balls on the stems then that is a gall caused by a soil born virus. There is no cure for that except to eliminate euonymous from that ground for four or five years.

3. Abouttime

Wow-almost ominous sounding. I did check very closely and didn't see any "white" stuff nor nodules-just brown, wilting leaves. I'll treat and hope for the best. Thanks for the help.

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

If they were b&b and not in a pot when you got them, then there may have been some root damage when planted. Even up the top growth with the roots by pruning foliage back a bit. Sounds like they are drying out from inability to absorb enough water.

5. Abouttime

They were in a pot-I will trim the foliage today and hope for the best-thanks, again.