Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Anyone want to sanity check my assumptions for winter hay estimates?...last year I just picked up a pickup truck full at a time and never really kept track for the few animals I had...this year I may be heading into winter with about 5 times as many animals so I want to budget much better.

Anyway, found a website that uses something called an Animal Unit...which is a theoretical 1000lb animal I beleive, and it is assumed that a 1000lb animal will need 25lbs hay per day...sheep and goats are considered 1/7of an AU, and a donkey the size I have would be 2/7 of an AU. Kids and Lambs would be considered 1/14th of an AU.

Anyway, what this more or less works out to is that a single sheep or goat (150lbs average?) would require about about 3.75lbs of hay per day and rough a 100lbs per month (almost two bales).

A donkey (mine is a large mini and weighs about 250lbs) would require almost twice as much, or roughly a bale per 2 weeks.

Also, for my area (New England), I am assuming 180 days of needing to provide hay...roughly mid Oct thru Mid April before the pastures.

For all my estimates, I'd rather round everthing up and be safe...opinions anyway?

Anyone have hay estimates (or better yet actual records) for their animals and be willing to share?

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for that response...7 sheep getting 1/2 of bale per day is just about 25lbs per AU, just like the formulas I had found...thats good news (at least for my estimating purposes).

Curious why you think hay will be so expensive this year? How much do you usually pay, and what do you think it will go up to?

Also still interested in others testimonials about hay usage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts