Est'd? Circa? What DO you use!?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Aug 5, 2005.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

When you put the date on your new barn, or whatever, how do YOU put the date? Is "Est'd 2005" correct? The doesn't seem to be the right abbreviation!

2. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

If it's a new barn, just put 2005. Circa and Est mean estimated, or about, so you'd only use those on an old buildng that you didn't know the exact year.

3. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

Circa means "around" circa, circle.... get it?
    Est means established. Usually used on churches, office buidings etc.
    Since you know the date your barn was built, just put the date on it. Circa, like cfabe says means you are not sure of the date it was built. usually used on historical buildings.

David

4. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Hubby put Est on our barn. He figured some idiot might read the date and think it was our address so he added the EST part.

5. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Est'd is established, and it is usually used after a business/organization name. Eg. John's Towing - Est'd 1957 . . . Johnson Bros Farms - Est'd 1908. I don't believe this notation would be used to date a building nor would 'Est'd 2005' by itself make much sense (what was established?). Although I could be wrong.

cheers,

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I think you are probably right.....established what? The farm? If it says "Coop Farms" or whatever, maybe.

I'll just leave it at "2005". Thanks again!

7. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

You could use "Anno 2005" - means year. Or you could use "Year 2005" - clear, and no possibility of confusion. If you have a formal foundation stone, then do the full "This stone laid {full date} by {person's name}" thing. You could cast a foundation stone out of cement, on its back, and scribe the inscription into the wet surface.