Establishing new pasture.

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Lucas, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Lucas

Lucas Member

planning on establishing a new pasture in the spring from bean stubble it is now. About 9 Acres. My Amish neighbor has suggested and offer that he can disk and plant it with a cover crop of oats and then come in around the first part of June and take the oats off the top. He suggested that the 2-3 Acres we plan to graze first with one or two steers he could leave the oats and we could graze them like in may before they seed out. My question is that a good plan? Will the cows grazing the oats destroy the pasture mix under the oats before it’s big enough? We are only looking to do around 2-3 steers.

Thanks.

2. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of ways to do this. Your soil type, fertility and climate matter.
    What are you planting for pasture? Grasses, grasses and clover? Alfalfa? What kinds of grasses? Orchard Grass, Brome? KY Blue Grass?
    I might plant clover and orchard grass with oats as a cover crop. Then in June, cut the oats just before grain heads appear or shortly after, depending on how dry the weather is, make the whole acreage oat hay. Buy 2 or 3 feeders in the fall (that is when they are normally sold). Feed the hay and in the spring, your pasture should be ready for them.

3. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

We graze oats here all winter and warm season grass would be planted in May or June. I'm not sure where you are or what grass your planting .

4. Lucas

Lucas Member

Located in southwest Michigan. The Amish would be taking the oats off the 6 Acres in the back and they suggested grazing the front three that summer. We were planning on planting a mix of like clover, orchard grass, Timothy, and others.

5. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

Sorry, different climates, oats are seeded and dry and gathered in June here. . I do know it's good grazing , we use brown top millet as a cover to get grass established spring and summer and it sounds like a similar situation. The grass will be fine if cover is not taken down to it.

6. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

You have a conservation district in your state. Contact them. They will not only guide you through the process, they will subsidize the cost of converting crop land (oats) to grass land. They paid for my plowing, seeding, fertilizing and liming. They also paid for retational grazing fences and waterers. They are serious about protecting clean water and all of this fits their plans.