esstimating weight

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mammawof3, Apr 5, 2005.

1. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

does anyone know if a tape for weighing dairy goats would be accurate for boer-boer-x.s or do they make one for meat goats?

2. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Dairy goat weight tapes are not accurate for miniature breeds, meat breeds, or hair breeds. I do not know of any meat goat tape.

3. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hi. I asked this same question not too long ago and got this response from Tina (I have not tried it yet):

"Sheep and Goat Weights

1. Measure the circumference (heart girth), making sure to part or compress the wool to ensure accurate measurement (distance C).
    2. Measure the length of body (distance A-B).
    3. Take the values obtained in Steps 1 and 2 and apply the following formula to calculate body weight: Heart girth x heart girth x body length divided by 300 = weight in pounds.

I have yet to find a measuring weight that is exactly accurate, but this is the one I use.

Advice by: Tina
    Meat goats:
    Using a standard cloth measuring tape, measure around the "heart girth" behind the front legs. Pull the tape just snug. Do NOT use these weights as the basis for goat sales. Although not perfectly accurate, it is great for keeping track of general weight trends for your goats. For example, if one of them is losing weight it should alert you to look for health problems. It is accurate enough to use as a general guide for determining medicine dosages. "