Essential oil and herb advice?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jen H, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Ok, my husband has a type of eczema (atopic dermatitis). I've recently started making my own olive-oil based soap because we couldn't find any commercial soaps that wouldn't flare his skin up. I'm wondering what essential oils I can potentially add to help buffer his skin from these breakouts so he doesn't have to use so much cortisone.

I've added hazelnut oil and evening primrose oil to the soap mix - and he's already seeing a difference.

I've been doing some reading on my own, but I also know we have all sorts of people on this board that really know their herbs and alternative therapies. I'll be trying things out in very small batches, so if something doesn't work it won't be a big deal.

Thanks so much in advance!

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

If the eczema isn't too widespread, you might have him try zinc oxide ointment. I had it on my hands and the zinc cured it, when dermatologists couldn't do a thing for me. I've had no breakouts or cracks in my fingers in over a year.

3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I've found that pinetar soap has helped tons with my 6yrold daughters scalp "cradle cap". I also used neem oil shampoo that helped her tons, but it was so costly. Those options may help for excema. Evening primrose oil, I've heard works well. Another option is organic Apple cider vinegar toppically and orally, my brother has noticed a marked improvement with his psoriasis. Diet changes may help as well.

Best of luck, Reese

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Has he done a thorough detox? There might be something in his body that is triggering the eczema (even if he's had the problem since childhood).

5. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Grape Seed Extract helps alot of people. the info. I have says to mix 3 drops GSE with 1/4 cup olive, sesame, avacado, almond, or veg. oil and rub into affected area twice daily. GSE really has helped when I've used it on my self and animals for various skin problems. Best wishes! Oh, you can see MANY uses for GSE on line at www.pureliquidgold.com

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

This works more for psoriasis but it may help your husband. Have him eat turkey and drink grape juice regularly

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Caledula should work, emu oil, tea tree oil, too.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with the body cleanse, especially a parasite cleanse. Any soap you make is going to improve his skin becuase you don't use petroleum based products. Ti Tree and lavender e.o. would be a nice combination, as would vetivert and sassafras.

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Great info so far, thankyou!

The eczema is all over his body when the flare ups are bad. He recently had to take a course of prednisone to get it back down to where his cortisone salve would work again. I know that steroids are sometimes necessary, but it worries me that he uses them so much.

He's not one for odd diets, but I can certainly change the things I put on the table for him to eat. ;) I hadn't thought about a detox because he's had this all his life (his Dad has the same problem). It sure can't hurt.

I know he's used pinetar in the past, I don't know why he stopped. I'll ask.

So, next time I head into town I'll look for neem oil, grape seed extract, emu oil, tea tree oil, and I'll get some calendula flowers.

10. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

There was a lady at the Mount Vernon, WA, Farmers Market who sold her homemade soap. Only one kind and it was made with calendula leaves and oatmeal. She invented it for her husband (same problem) and sold quite a lot of it at the FM. You might experiment a little to see what you could do.

11. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

look up patchouli oil.

12. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

... or olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, grapefruit seed extract and : Lavander, chammomile and sandalwood essential oils mixture

This is sold as a wellness oil for eczema on ebay from a reputable dealer ... natures inventory. I've bought there before.

13. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Does your husband also have digestive problems? Because some skin problems are from gluten intolerance. (And digestive problems may or may not show up, sometimes it's just the skin symptoms.) Especially where he's had this since he was small, and his dad had it too, it makes me think it might be gluten intolerance. A gluten-free diet is a pain in the you-know-what, but if it made him feel better, it would be worth it.

Kathleen

14. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

the fact of it is theres a ton of great oils out there, and herbs for that matter that will help , wether they will help your husband is dependant on so many things his diet, his particular flare up triggers ...etc .

i would suggest to add about 20 drops tea tree oil to your soap ,it wont affect trace orcure time ,plus it smells good ,
    lets see what else, vitamin e, the capsules can be found at the dollar stores for a buck , add them once the majority of oil has been added, they are usually made from soy bean oil, so it will still saponify....personally i would consider adding grapeseed oil to your soap as one of the ingredients, rather than just the extract ...
    youre making a medicated type soap here, so , the closes you can get to something that will work , .....

like someone else mentioned, honestly getting away from all chemical soaps and surfactants, even down to dish and laundry soap will help TONS!!!, you have no idea how much petroleum residue is left on clothing due to surfactants,
    avoiding all non natural clothing might help too, then again , it might not, eliminating wheat and dairy might help , same with all nightshade plants (potatoes tomatoes and peppers)

theres lot of things to try ...
    it depends on how far he wants to go , and how far you are willign to go as well

15. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

One of the best all around essential oils is lavender. It's great for the skin. I am usually able to clear mine up a little if I keep the area well moisturized. I've tried prescription cortisone creams, alpha hydroxy creams, and prescription moisturizers. Even using creams three times a day didn't clear it up.

My best advice is to moisturize well, and exfoliate a little if you can. (GENTLY, though)

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Actually, now that you mention it, he has an allergy to cow's milk (the milk protein itself, not just the lactose). He's fine with goat's or sheep's milk. We use goat's milk on a routine basis at home, but it's hard to avoid cow's milk anywhere else.

The soap batches that haven't worked out so well I've been saving up for laundry soap and dish soap. So eventually we won't be using commercial detergents at all. Our water is soft, so there shouldn't be many problems with scum. I figure even the soap we just don't like is, well, soap - and better for both of us than the artificially scented and dyed petroleum things out there.

I do appreciate the input!