Essay contest?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beaners, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I searched for anything posted here about this and couldn't find anything.

http://www.winmydreamhouse.com/default.htm

So has anyone entered this? It's a steep entry fee, but a very enticing offer. I could think of plenty of people here who would love a place like this, how cool would it be if one of them ended up with it??

Kayleigh

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Seems like a good way to make a significant amount of money on a property you may be having trouble selling on the regular market...

I'm not saying that's what this is about, but that $100 entry fee... Hm. Makes me wonder.

Then again, I'm sure there are other contests out there that require entry fees. But still...

BTW, I noticed a few grammatical errors as I read through the contest rules. I wonder who will be judging the essays, and if grammar/spelling/punctuation count?

Pony!

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

It also says they need a minimum of 1000 entries... hmmm 100,000 for 5 acres in MO... sounds good if you can get it.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It would be AWSOME!

Alas, I think that they will not get the required 1000 entrants, and so the property will not be awarded and folks will get their entry fees back. IMHO.

5. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

What a funky looking house.
    Does sound strange to me....maybe who owns it can't sell it and this is the only way to get rid of it.

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Y'know, we've been having so much trouble with the Rotten Neighbor from H-E-double hockey sticks, this is starting to look like an interesting idea...

And our land is MUCH nicer. ;)

Thing is, we'd need to get more than 1,000 entries... <Pony figures math in her head, gives up and uses calculator> 3K out to work pretty well. That would give the folks and us enough of a profit after expenses to find a place with NO easements and a bit further away from psycho-hose-beast Ahab/Jezebel couples...

Pony!

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

They say a fool and his money are soon parted. In this case at least 999 fools are going to pour $100 down a rat hole. Would you bet on a horse race that had 1000 horses in it, and it didn't even pay for second place.

8. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

That was the other thing, if they require 1,000 entries at $100 each that is $100,000. What is the going market for that area in Arkansas? Maybe $100,000 for a house on 5 acres is considered over priced there. I don't know, although its still alot cheaper than Massachusetts.
    Maybe its someone who's looking to dispose of it easily and for the most amount of money.

9. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Question: Why is he trying to unload his "Dream Home" this way?

Probable answer: because a geodesic dome home has a very low resale value, and he's become frustrated over trying to sell it any other way.

I've followed several of these essay contest efforts over the years and have yet to see one actually get enough entrants to get to the judging stage.

Has anyone ever heard of someone actually winning an essay contest home? I haven't.

10. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Sounds overpriced to me, unless the proximity to Branson is pushing that price up. Another 30 mi south and you'd pay 1/2 that! Maybe he has some bills he needs to pay off, too.

A few years ago a woman was "essaying" off her horse farm in GA or SC, don't remember. THAT entrance fee was $1000. Great if you win, but I never read about anyone winning these things.

11. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Remember the movie "Spitfire Grill" wasn't that what they did in the movie?