Escape!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Oct 16, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I just spent the last three hours out in the blowing wet snow chasing and rounding up the last escapee. All five of my pigs escaped their confines and were running about all over the place. I'm soooooo glad they were hungry, got the first two in right away. Had to hunt around for two others who gleefully followed me with slop bucket in hand, back into their pen. That last son-of-a-sow wanted to play outside for a while, found him heading south down the road. I think the only reason he followed me back cause he was scared. It was still a good two hours till I finally got him back in. OMG I'm tired! :mad:
    So you think they know its their last week alive on this earth? :haha:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Jackie, Tell us how you have worked out your system to load them Sons of Sows.

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Do pigs CLIMB or something?
    Maybe they have Houdini in their genes!

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This is your indoctrination :) into the secret swine society. ;) My gilts have been getting out since the last hurricane- their pen was damaged in a dozen ways so I moved them to the pen I used to keep my domestic sows in- bigger but not escape-proof for the the small ones :yeeha: Nothing like a half dozen roto tillers on the foundation :rolleyes:

5. jackie c

Whew, what a day! We're having somewhat of an early winter storm here right now power just came back on. First runaway porkers, next no power, boy I really feel like a homesteader now! And to answer the loading question, they're getting slaughtered here. :yeeha: Sweet (and succlulent) revenge :eek:

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

if they have a pasture to play in they are less likely to want to spend the energy to get out

7. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

One of my last 2 just got out yesterday. I just knew that we would be the rest of the day getting her back in. :( As it turns out, it was a good thing that we always brought feed to the pen on the 4wheeler. My DW got the 4wheeler, and this pig just followed her back to the pen where I was already putting food, and went right back in. :D

8. jackie c

Isn't that something though, I really thought I'd be out there all day tracking them down (if ever finding them at all). Good thing they love food so much. I think we got really lucky though. :eek:

9. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

Had three pigs two years ago that I could not keep confined. Beginning of this year two different friends got pigs. I bet them lunch that thier piggies would escape too. They used hot wire with their fences. I owe them lunches.