erysipelas

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by farmy, Feb 26, 2005.

1. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

We just culled a sick gilt who had a red, diamond-shaped skin rash - erysipelas, if my amateur diagnosis is right. Vet, who did not see the pig, said this disease is quite uncommon in our area (northeastern New York) but then said, oh wait, you have turkeys right? We do. And the poults came from the mid-west, where the disease, vet says, is more common.

Now we have another gilt down with fever and weakness in her hind legs, so it looks like it's making its way through our herd. Has anyone treated this disease w/o antibiotics? Have a good link for alternative/organic treatments? I can't seem to turn anything useful up.

I have ordered erysipelas vaccine for the rest of the pigs, and it should be here in a few days. Does anyone know what size/gauge needle I should use for sub q hog injections? Where on the hogs should I do it?

There's nothing more miserable looking than a sick pig. Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

-Farmy

2. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

sounds like you got the diagnosis right, I will check the size that we used when we vacinated our crew. The vet said the shoulder or the rump. I had trouble with the regualr syringe and got one that had the handle as a pistol grip. THat way I could jab and go. The vet told us to do it in the muscle (1" long needles or so). Also one dose then another 3 weeks later. We had a pregnant sow who had this and a he** of a delivery. Lost 6 of 9 babies.

We unfortunately had to give momma antibiotics. Having turkeys we will now always vacinate our pigs. Very heart wrenching dealing with sick pigs and dying piglets.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to give antibiotics to the ones showing symptoms, or they will become paraylized in thier hindquarters. I would go with a smaller needle for the vacination. Vacinate in the armpits, the skin is thin and loose there and it is much easier to do a sub-q injection there. If you do not get the vacine VERY soon I would give preventative antibiots immediatly or the whole herd will get it. You can get the kind you mix in feed or water for prevention.

4. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

Arg. Another pig is down and a third looks iffy. The first pig is going to have to be culled, the sooner the better, as it can't walk. I'm hoping the vaccine and antibiotics arrive today though we're having a bad storm. I am planning to treat the pigs showing symptoms with antibiotics and vaccinate the rest of the herd. Tinknal and Vtfarmer, thanks for the advice.

I just got a book on swine disease on loan from the vet and found that erysipelas can only live about 35 days in soil, so I'm at least hopeful we can get clear of this nastiness eventually. And I will never again fail to vaccinate.

5. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

How can you give a sub-Q shot into a large pig/hog? I really need to know. I've seen them when very little (wormers) but that is TOTALLY different. Grab the little guy and hold upside down.

So, If I should ever need to .... how do you propose I go about it?

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Give the shot in the neck right behind the ear. Less damage to a choice meat area.

7. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Mike i think the best way is to give the pig there favorite treat on the ground ,,, what ever it is that you give them that they really love, while they are in the middle of eating it up you just stick em in the neck behind the ear somewhere with a 14 or 16 guage needle an inch & a half or less in length ,, on a grown pig you have little chance of hitting the meat because of the fat layer they carry.
    believe it or not as long as your pigs have a good favorite treat, they will not hardly notice you giving them a shot at all.

good luck with it
    Rick

8. Mike in Pa

Look at this beeman

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For larger pigs you need one of the snout snares. Once you get the snare on the snout you can easily give the shot.

10. Mike in Pa

Funny you should say that. I bought one of those and just learned how to use it! I bought it thinking it was to snare their foot! :haha: I guess you could but I learned the correct use was the way you described ... thanks again.

Unfortunately, beeman, I should have read the post directly before I moved this up ... IT'S YOURS! Guess I didn't tell you anything you weren't already aware of!