Ernesto is on the way - generator caution

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Aug 29, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ernesto, which is presently down graded to a tropical storm, but can regain hurricane status, is traveling up toward Florida. With wind speeds of only 45 MPH presently it will be just like a large storm, unless wind speed changes.

In the event you lose power and have a generator - do not run it while it is raining. The paper type air filters will clog, this causes excess vacuum which draws engine oil up through the fuel system to be consumed. No oil, no generator; this was the biggest cause of generator failure back when the major hurricanes come through.

Antisipated land fall contact is tomorrow.

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Yep, a guy here yesterday burned not only his own place, but 2 neighbors' houses, due to his not removing the generator from the shed when refueling. It doesn't take much gas to cause a problem in a neighborhood.

Luckily, Ernesto is only 45 mph now. The kids have no school tomorrow as the buses cannot operate safely with winds in excess of 40 mph. Sigh, I still have to come to work, though, unless he gets stronger overnight.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Another caution... Generators should be grounded so you wont get shocked if you touch it when wet. Most ignore that rule. Its simple to drive a piece of pipe or bar into the ground and attach it with a heavy wire to the frame.

I built a large plywood cover for mine that I attach to the stair rails by a door we dont use often. That way its not exposed to the rain, and the wind wont blow it away. I can run it any time like that and since its NOT attached directly to the house there is lots of ventilation. This wont work for everyone. Im lucky in that this door is in a sheltered area. Ernesto will be visiting here by Friday unless the forecast changes yet again. It should mostly be a rain event here in NC though but Im watching it closely anyway. They are too unpredictable to take chances with

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

A good caution. Our 20 gallon tank is separate from the generator to keep filling the tank away from the generator. The generator has a fuel pump. And thanks, you remided me to hook up the remote start switch! Don't think we'll have a problem up here, but always be prepared.

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

look at that, ya learn something new every day.

6. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

here is my tip. go to lowes or builders supply, purchase a cheap emercency light and install it near your generator. that light source is pretty handy when you are fooling around in the dark trying to start a generator. around 30$ and up.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ernesto is still holding a wind speed of 45 MPH, at best it will become a 6 hour storm unless there are very dramatic changes. Of course the local media is jumping on it like it was a category 5 or equivalent to a nuclear blast - mainly to justify their existences. They even are broadcasting in Spanish, stupid to the fact that Spanish speakers have their own stations or channels.

I have a very low tolerance to displays by idiots. And am going to email these words tomorrow while ducking rain showers...

Why would any Spanish speaking individual tune into an Anglo station, when such is available in their language? Are they trying to learn English, (fat chance about that)?