eragon-the movie

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by fordson major, Dec 16, 2006.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

boy has been agitating for weeks too see the movie when it came out! :rolleyes: turning him and sis out too the movies (with friends) was my plan ,but he wanted his dad, so i went! not having read the book myself (yet) the story line was new, boy thought the book was better :help: dragon was great though and the acting good, plot predictable (when you have read as many sci/fantasy as i ,it's all old hat!) anyone else see it yet? :hobbyhors

2. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

no I haven't but my kid also wants to see it. I tried to get her interested in the book way back when it came out, but she had other sci fi stuff she was reading and didn't want to. I'm interested to see if it does well. Impressive that a kid wrote the book (I read on a homeschool web site that he was hs'd) and am curious who did the screenplay.
    Sherry

3. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see it! Since you saw it, do you think it would be OK for a nine year old? My son wants to see it. He saw all of the Harry Potters, and the two Pirates movies, and was OK with those.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My kids love this kind of stuff....my sister will take them to see it no doubt. :cool:

5. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

My kids are dying to see it hopefully will have a few spare bucks next week to take them to the drive in (one here is open year around). I loved the book, need to find time to read the sequels.

6. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

On most movies in the past that has a medieval theme I have worn my armour and a few weapons, Im probably past that, but , is this movie all that medieval?

7. fordson major

if he had no problem with harry potter or tenticle man then he should be fine with eragon!
    wish i drive in was still open! they had too close early this year as the ground was so soft!( softer now!)
    farmboy ,they have some armour and weapons but more of a magic theme then acurate historical!

8. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband and I took my son last night to see it. They cut probably 1/2 of the book, it was mainly about the dragonriding sequences and there was no story line through it or character development. We were very disappointed. We are hoping they release an extended version that may have more of the book in it.

9. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

My son wants to read the book first before seeing the movie.

Since we are something like 90th on the library waiting list I guess I'll buy it for him for Christmas.

10. fordson major

thats what the boy was saying, it did not follow the book!! not having read it (too much double vision this fall) it ran alright, some parts vague but book will fill them in ! now too get 3 hours too read!

11. vonettrich

vonettrich Well-Known Member

My son had been waiting anxiously to see the movie and was very disappointed. He said it didn't follow the book, added things that weren't in the book, and was generally awful. Big disappointment. :grump:

12. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I am going to see it this Aft. and I have not read the book so it doesn't matter if they followed it or not. The special effects are great. And it is showing at a theater that just Bought ALL new Projectors, and now every movie is being shown in Digital Format~! And the same theater is showing the New Charlot's Web I want to see that one also.

13. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Not having read the book I thought the movies was ok. It could have been better but it was worth watching.
    I noticed even tho there was fighting not too much blood and gore and there was no kissing and stuff like that.
    I loved the dragon I want one!!!

14. fordson major

wasn't Saphira great?!? :dance: yep sign me up for a dragon's egg too!! :hobbyhors

15. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I'm surprised your waiting list is so long! The book is in my section at the library (YA librarian), and when I was reading shelves on Friday, it was still there, so I put it on display. I thought for sure it would be going out like crazy right now. I DID just buy two new copies of Night at the Museum, because that movie is getting loads of publicity, and all of our copies had been withdrawn for quite awhile. That is another one I'm looking foreward to!

16. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

We loved Saphira. My husband and son want a dragon too! LOL!

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

While it was alright, I have to agree that there was a lot of jumping around, no real character development, and frankly, there was a LOT of total ripping-off of other books and themes: LOTR, Dragonriders of Pern, Star Wars original trilogy, to name a few.

Still and all, it was not an unpleasant way to spend some time with friends. I would not spend full-price to see it, though. Better to go to the library and borrow LOTR or Dragonheart, I think, or dust off your Pern series and re-read those.

ETA: Someone mentioned historicity of weaponry. I was a little irritated because this is one of the movies that make swords go "shing!" while going in and out of scabbards (they don't make that noise at all). A minor irritation, but ... okay, okay, I'm being picky! ;)

Pony!

18. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Devon is going on her first "group date" tomorrow to see the movie. She is a HUGE fan of the book and so are the other kids in the group. This is a good group of kids from our homeschool co-op so I fee ok with letting her go. I will probably always hate the movie because I will associate it with my baby growing up *sniffle*

Pony, I am glad that you mention the Dragonriders of Pern series... I LOVE them all. I have always thought that they would make a great movie, especially Dragonsinger, Dragonsong and Dragondrums...but now after seeing all of the bad reviews for Eragon, perhaps not.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

19. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

After reading the book a couple of months ago, I was quite dissapointed. As stated, about half the book and most of the character development was missing.

Casting was terrible! The actor who played Eragon no more looked like a "farm boy" Brittany Spears does. Also the (in the book she was a) fairy princess looked like she had spent a few late nights at "Joe's Bar and Grill".

For what part it followed the book, it wasn't too bad, but it will never be a classic. JMO/ICBW

20. mutthouse

mutthouse Active Member

I saw it last night, and I really enjoyed it. I'm not much one for fantasy movies/books--never even knew there WAS a book. I didn't want to go, particularly, but everyone else did, so I tagged along. Here's what I thought about it:
    --good, simple story, a bit predictable, but clean. I never got bored, which is rare in today's movies
    --cinematography was BEAUTIFUL
    --acting was competent, no Oscar performances, but nothing embarrassing
    --[Bloved[/B] the dragon!

Lin