·
Registered
11,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
Posted 4/6/21 4:12 PM CDST

Our S.O. K9 unit started training their own drug and explosives sniffers and people tracking dogs from shelter adoptees about 6 years ago at a cost of $3k to $5k per dog instead purchasing foreign bred and trained dogs that cost $15k to $20k per dog.

One of the handlers told me that a miniature poodle they trained to sniff drugs , explosives and firearms works great in searches and the small size is good for cell searches because of the small size.

He said the patrol trained mixed breeds and pit bulldogs are excellent K9 officers as the department trainer verifies their personalities and all the shelter dogs trained for patrol duty passed certification of agility , personality, compliance to their handler partner and required size for patrol duty.

The handler also said that when the K9 unit is fully staffed, the department trainer selects candidates from the shelters and K9 trains the dogs and handlers for other LEAs to make discretionary funds for the S.O. , income for the trainer and save other departments some on the cost of their K9 officers.

·
Registered
171 Posts

We need this....
GSD, Rotwieller, Louisania Catahola Lepored dog, Anatolian, and a few others that I also can't spell should be the chosenn ones

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had to check the publication date, I thought it was an April fools joke, but it was published on March 31st!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts