Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read at another site that some folks work Epson Salt into the ground around their tomatoes. This raises the acid in the soil and tomatoes love acidic soil. Has anyone else ever tried this? I am going to spend the day in the garden and I am considering using some on my tomatoes.

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,283 Posts
You alreay have tomatoes planted? Why is there no smiley for jealous? lol

Before altering the pH of your soil it is probably a good idea to know what pH you currently have. As you said Epsom salts increase the acidity of your soil, but tomatoes are very forgiving and will grow well at 5.5 pH so high acidity is not necessary. If you have a magnesium deficiency, epsom salts will help, but if your soil is already on the acidic side you would do better to add lime.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
We put a handful in the hole and stir it up before putting the plant in.Also spread it like fertlizer on the yard,it seems to help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:dance: I am very happy with my tomato plants this year. I have raised them from little seeds! Truly a triumph for me! Normally I always buy plants from the garden store. I have watched them carefully and covered them on nights that it was suppose to get cold and then uncovered them in the morning. I have not had them in the ground long at all! I was really worried about them a few times but they have prevailed and I am so happy! :dance: I do need to check my ph level before adding the epson salts though. Thank you very much.

I am going to plant some straight neck squash and zuchini and cucumbers & basil today also. I got them for 50 cents each at Walmart. I always have such horrid luck with cucumbers! It is one of my most favorite fresh vegetables and I can't get them to grow to save my life, but none the less I keep trying year after year!!

Wish me luck!

I do hope that you get your garden planted soon! Then you can do the happy dance! :dance:

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Balancedmom2003 said:
I read at another site that some folks work Epson Salt into the ground around their tomatoes. This raises the acid in the soil and tomatoes love acidic soil. Has anyone else ever tried this? I am going to spend the day in the garden and I am considering using some on my tomatoes.

Thanks!
I've shied away from epsom salts. Had an uncle used it liberally in his garden. His tomatoes always gave me the "runs". :haha:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
Balancedmom2003 said:
:I am going to plant some straight neck squash and zuchini and cucumbers & basil today also. I got them for 50 cents each at Walmart. I always have such horrid luck with cucumbers! It is one of my most favorite fresh vegetables and I can't get them to grow to save my life, but none the less I keep trying year after year!!
Thanks!
You might want to try some of the older varieties of cucumber. We've planted the Lemon Cucumber from Seed Savers and have been very happy with it. The plants get huge and we get more cucumbers than we can eat. They look, not taste, like lemons so extras are very easy to give away because they are so different. These cucumbers have done well even in horrid years..first .too much rain then no rain when I had to carry buckets of water for the plants across 2 acres. They have a lovely flavor and look great in salads
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
epsom salts makes a great foliar fertilizer just mix about a cup to one gallon of water and mist the leaves for a little boost. We use it on grapes as well to give the new canes a little help just before bloom.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,154 Posts
Epsom Salts add magnesiam to the soil. It is one of the nutrients plants require. It also makes for better utilization of the other nutrients by making a more balanced plant food base. If your ground is acidic add lime. If it is alkaline add sulphur. Suphur lowers the PH and lime raises it. Soil with low PH is common in the eastern part of the US that gets abundant rainfall even if it don't fall when you need it. It really done wonders for DW's roses this year.
 

·
Fire On The Mountain
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
uncle Will in In. said:
Epsom Salts add magnesiam to the soil. It is one of the nutrients plants require. It also makes for better utilization of the other nutrients by making a more balanced plant food base. If your ground is acidic add lime. If it is alkaline add sulphur. Suphur lowers the PH and lime raises it. Soil with low PH is common in the eastern part of the US that gets abundant rainfall even if it don't fall when you need it. It really done wonders for DW's roses this year.
Thanks,Uncle Will! That was exactly what I was looking for. A man told me the same thing and I was wondering if it was true. Some of my plants have turned yellow after all the rain we've gotten. He said it was due to a lack of magnesiam in the soil,also. I'll try the epsom salts.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top