Eprinex

Discussion in 'Goats' started by CathyJK, Nov 27, 2004.

1. CathyJK

CathyJK Well-Known Member

Does anyone use Eprinex (Ivomex) for their goats?
    The bottle only has dosage for cattle and deer.
    I use Eprinex for my chickens!!!

Thanks

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

From Fiascofarm.com :

Brand Names:

* Eprinex

Drug Name:

eprinomectin 5mg

* Family: Avermectin
    * Treatment & Control of: Lungworms, gastrointestinal roundworms, larvae, lice, mange mites & cattle grubs. External parasites.
    * Goat dose: Pour-On
    o 1 ml per 10 lbs
    * Milk withholding time: None
    * Notes:
    o I have no personal experience with this wormer or it's use.

Personally, I use Ivomec 1% injectable (cattle swine) @ 1cc per 50lbs orally..

3. CathyJK

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I asked a gal that I respect in my goat club who uses this and she uses it at 5cc per 100 pounds given orally. YMMV Vicki

5. CathyJK

Thanks Vicki. It's a pour-on. I thought the carrier was different for all the types of wormers (oral, injectable, pour-on) and so they wouldn't be effective if you used them differently????

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi, it doesn't make sense why it works, only that it does :) I use Cydectin Pouron at labeled dosages, but give it orally....I have used Ivermectin 1% cattle injectable at double the dose, given orally. The major universities that do parisitology studies on goats all come back to the same conclusions, all wormers should be given orally to goats. I was Mrs. Skeptical about Cydectin and didn't switch to it right away (we weren't really seeing the resistance problems to Ivermectin others where, because I moved to oral use of it alot sooner (( thanks to my Dad)) than my mentors did), didn't want to be the one having problems with using a pouron orally, but now I use it also, no problems. Giving the drugs orally slows down the time the drug is in the system, goats have such faster metabolisims than cows or horses and especially compared to sheep. Why we use so much more antibiotic per weight, why that 1cc per 100 pounds of penicillin is not going to do anything for a goat, yet is fine for a cow.

Vicki