Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been using the envirolet composting low water model for about 7 years now. When I emptied it the first couple of years, the aged poop looked like compost but in recent years the drainage of the urine has failed entirely. I know this is got to be a common problem. Has anybody figured out a solution to get the drain to actually work?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Filters, electrical system, etc are discussed in the owners manual.

Filters, electrical system, etc are discussed in the owners manual.

Thanks for the response, but I have the manual and it is useless in getting the drain to actually drain. That's why I'm looking for a work-around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is the placement of the overflow outlet. There's gotta be a way of changing it so that the liquid can just flow down, not rise up. I know there's a zillion of these systems out there and somebody has had to solve this problem! My neighbor's doesn't work either. I've added feet of hose. I've flushed the line with water to prime it. No help.
I know nothing about composting toilets, but I know drains. If it is a manual as-needed drain, there is most likely a blockage in the line. Have you checked and cleaned the drain line?
Yes. Many times.
Have you called the company’s customer service phone number?
Bless you, Alice, yes, I've called them but the phone was never answered. I left messages that were never returned and now the number is disconnected. It may be that they're out of business.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I looked at all of the available models that exist and didn't see a one that met my standards of only having to deal with crap a few times a year. I bought a Seperett privy kit from amazon, ordered a heavy duty 20 gallon bucket and made my own system. Basically make the entire top able to lift up (hinged) so that easy removal of the bucket. Two solar vents that keep the moister and stink out and sealed it so that when you close the seat zero air escapes in or out of the room and only the inside of the compartment has the airflow. Total cost $300, smell is zero and for two people I have to deal with it once every 3 months. Each use toss a handful of sawduct on the crap, a cup of water down the urine and happy days. The urine is sent to my graywater system underground. These things really don't compost to the point you can toss it out safely. I have a 2 bins I use to hot compost it and then put it around trees I grow for lumber.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was able to get the basics of it put together this evening. Tomorrow I'll drill the 2 holes through the block walls for the vests (5" holes found solar RV vents on Amazon). Then just put seals on it a latch to secure the lid nice and tight and paint.
Wood Fluid Gas Plumbing fixture Composite material
Plant Helmet Flowerpot Houseplant Azure
Property Wood Plumbing fixture Floor Flooring
Wood Gas Machine Plywood Clock
Wood Tool Gas Bumper Hardwood
Gas Composite material Machine Wood Rectangle
Toilet seat Toilet Product Wood Bathroom

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,747 Posts
Interesting!!

Looking forward to seeing vents.

Isn’t that huge bucket awfully heavy to have to lift UP and out?

On the pee tube, I am concerned about urine remaining in the ripples of the flex pipe and stinking. Would a smooth pipe be better?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting!!

Looking forward to seeing vents.

Isn’t that huge bucket awfully heavy to have to lift UP and out?

On the pee tube, I am concerned about urine remaining in the ripples of the flex pipe and stinking. Would a smooth pipe be better?
The flex pipe is only rippled on the outside. Inside is smooth. We pour a couple cups of water down that to rinse after every use. No smell yet but if it ever did we would spray and rinse with hot water. The bucket is big but the height is perfect and easy for me to lift out. I wouldn't weight for the bucket to fill all the way to empty it and at half full it is only about 40 lbs at best which is very light for me.

I didn't get to the vents as I shifted and did some work up top the mountain to enjoy the view and breeze up there. Will add those pics when I get back up there in a week or two. Good thing I guess as I came up with a better design for the vents than my intended plan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts