Entrepreneurs ... accepting credit cards

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Any Entrepreneurs out there? Small business owners? Ebayers? What do you recommend for accepting credit cards? Netteller? Paypal?

Please report on something you have direct experience using.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

We have an account with PayPal that we use while selling on eBay. Many people pay with credit cards but they do all the processing and we just get notification that payment is received. However, not so sure how that will work if we start selling at farmers markets and such -- probably would need either a laptop with wireless connection or some type of terminal connected to a cell phone to process someones CC.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :rolleyes:

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used paypal for a few years now, never a problem and the fees are reasonable.

4. 1GandJ1

1GandJ1 Well-Known Member

My small business accepts credit cards. Was a real hassle to setup for me a first time user. LOTS of information is supplied to the processing company to get the account setup. It costs @ $23.00 a month in fees. Depending on use the fees can go up higher but that means more sales were made. If I were to do it again I would look into Costco or one of the other clubs. Fees are fees and all the process company's get them.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I accept credit cards online for both ebay purchases and web sales though paypal. One year out an no problems yet. sis

6. Suburbanhmstedr

Suburbanhmstedr Well-Known Member

I use Quickbook's credit card processing for my computer consulting business. I send invoices out via e-mail, and they can either respond with a check, call with credit card, or pay online with a credit card.

7. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I use Paypal. But then again, all my credit card sales are online, so it works fine for me.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I closed my last business 4 years ago and didn't take credit cards. It was an auto repair business in a small town so my customers and I had no problem with checks and or cash. If I did continue I would now undoubtedly be accepting credit and debit cards as it's become more the norm. I have friends with mobile retail businesses that accept credit and debit cards and they say they would lose many sales if they didn't accept them.

9. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I understand Sam's Club has reasonable CC processing fees for small businesses.

10. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We accept credit cards and Paypal. We have used every online payment type at some point but Paypal is the only one that every got used more than a couple of times. Regular credit cards are 80% of our retail sales.

11. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We accepted credit cards but set the account up through our bank and paid for the reader up front and had no monthly fees except what the credit card company charged for using their card.

The buyer of our business is still using the system.

Go directly through your bank instead of using one of those credit services.

We used pay pal on our on-line business and it worked out great.

12. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

For eBay and when I sell items on barter boards, I prefer to use PayPal.

When I had an online business (direct retail), I used www.ProPay.com to process credit cards. I used the free shopping cart from www.mals-e.com to collect the customer information, and then manually processed the cards with ProPay. It was the cheapest solution I was able to find.

13. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I like and have used PayPal.

14. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

I used Wells Fargo but switched to CostCo about 2 years ago. Whether or not it is worthwhile to offset the membership fee depends on your volume. In my case it was a no brainer as >60% of my clients pay with credit cards.

15. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We use Paypal for Ebay and have been happy with it. We had a Moneris visa account from Royal Bank here in Canada but it ended up being too expensive. That said I checked out every major bank in Canada from a small enterprise perspective and Moneris through Royal Bank(BMO for Mastercard) really was the most accomodating least hassle of all the banks. I'm going to check out Costco next, but may go back to Moneris.

16. Mike in Pa

Thanks for the excellent replies.

I will definately accept credit cards but I'm not sure if everyone will want to open an account thru paypal. This deterred me from making purchases on Ebay before.

How do I set something up to accept credit cards over the phone or thru the net with someone just typing in their card number?

Thanks!

17. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

If you open a paypal business account your customers do not need to open a paypal account in order to pay you.
    When I was shopping around for merchant accounts I could not find any that would allow my to accept online or phone payments without an exhorbitant fee. Admittedly this was around 1996 when online payments were much rarer than now, but phone payments were not new. Perhaps things have improved by now, I stopped searching when I signed up with paypal.

18. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Your customers don't have to open a paypal account to make credit card payments to you. I take credit card payments from people who do not have a paypal account.

When the customer goes to make the payment, they click the link on the paypal payment page, the one like this:
    [​IMG]
    That takes them to the credit-card processing section of paypal, the one where they can pay you without having a pp account.

19. Mike in Pa

I never knew that! I didn't want to go thru paypal because I didn't want the hassle of opening an account for a small item. That might work then. I will check with my bank too though.

20. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I use Paypal for my website and like it very much. I use Paypal payment Pro which includes the Virtual Terminal. You can take credit card payments via phone, fax, mail and in person. Website Payment Pro includes the Virtual Terminal which allows your customers the flexibility to pay you with a credit card offline, no Paypal account required.

Their fees are less than a merchant account. Paypal processes the transaction but stays in the background, so it appears as if you are doing it yourself.

katlupe