Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hometown is on a campaign to boycott their local Wal Mart. A benefit softball tournament has been planned with proceeds to be split between the two young women (Logan and Tia...I have posted about them previously) who were seriously injured recently in car accidents. Wal Mart "generously" donated two cases of Sam's water for the tournament. (One of the small local grocery stores donated their entire stock of water and Gatorade).

What's worse, the mother of one of the young women (Tia) has worked at that Wal Mart for 20 years or so!

Boy, folks in town are HOT about this.

UPDATE:

Logan has been transferred to a rehab center in Atlanta, GA. Tia remains in the hospital in Huntsville, AL and had surgery on her broken ankle today. Both young ladies are improving, but it is a slow and painful progression. Logan was already a slim, athletic girl. She's lost 25 lbs. since her accident.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I have personally been boycotting Wally Crap. I think the quality of thier merchandise has gone down over the years and I hate thier business practices. I won't go back, even if I have to pay more someone else.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Already boycotting WM.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I believe that a donation is a gift. There should be no minimums. I'd be afraid to donate anything to cause that gets mad at donations.

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Big business will never care about a community like a small business will. To expect differently is naive. OTOH, I have been boycotting Walmart for a year. Not only have our expenditures not gone up (they actually went down) but the amount of food in our cupboard is greater than it was when we shopped there. AND we are supporting the local businesses that support our communities.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DAVID In Wisconsin said:
I believe that a donation is a gift. There should be no minimums. I'd be afraid to donate anything to cause that gets mad at donations.
Are you serious? There was no minimum/maximum. People are just flabbergasted that the place Gaye worked for so many years made only a token donation...if it can even be called that.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
You better get your facts straight before you start shooting your mouths off. Big business has donated more to local communities than you are obviously aware of.

http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wmstore/goodworks/scripts/index.jsp

WalMart is just at the top of the list. Home Depot, Target. Sears, Lowes, GM, Ford and Chrysler, IBM, HP and Microsoft... the list is probably too long to list in a single post here.

The fact that their donation to your local pet project doesn't satisfy your expectations certainly shouldn't discount the tens of billions of dollars that these companies give away to better the lives of hundreds of thousands of people every year. You should be ashamed of your personal greed for your individual crisis and ask whatever deity you believe in for forgiveness for that greed.

Dig into your own pockets if it's that important to you...
Let the flaming begin!!!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bill in oh...I've got my facts straight. Get yours straight. I have nothing to be ashamed of and I am not a greedy person. I HAVE dug deep into my pockets to donate to these families in need and I will continue to do so.

Local pet project? Individual crisis? YOU do not know what YOU are talking about.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I have to agree with the above poster. Do any of you realize how often businesses are asked for donations? The owner of our local feed mill, & this is a very small town, said he is asked at least once a day & often more than that. They have to limit what they give. Even if people think they should donate more, they have to limit the amount or else it would be showing favoritism to certain groups. I can't imagine how many times a day Walmart would be asked to give to charities. I bet it is unreal! Just because a company is a huge company doesn't mean they will donate to every cause or donate the amount that people think they should. Any donation should be received with a huge thank you.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,877 Posts
I think the boycott in response to a donation, however small, is sad.

The general public doesn't realize that those big stores make big donations, rather than responding to small local issues.

Personally, their support of Children's Miracle Network touches my heart. As you know, my three year old grandson has cancer and is at St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. Children's Miracle Network supports cancer research.

People in our area got all twisted off because Target won't let the Salvation Army bell ringers stand outside at Christmas. Lots of folks don't know that Target built *two* apartment buildings for families of cancer patients in Memphis.

The folks in your town may need to look at the bigger picture. They appear uninformed, ungrateful, and petty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So the what did every person in the town donate? If they all give $20 or $50 it adds up pretty fast. IT would be nice if everyone including walmart gave all they could but it is THERE choice not to. Also people have very short memories these days and boycotts dont work remember the one about not buying gas awhile ago?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Wendy said:
I have to agree with the above poster. Do any of you realize how often businesses are asked for donations? The owner of our local feed mill, & this is a very small town, said he is asked at least once a day & often more than that. They have to limit what they give. Even if people think they should donate more, they have to limit the amount or else it would be showing favoritism to certain groups. I can't imagine how many times a day Walmart would be asked to give to charities. I bet it is unreal! Just because a company is a huge company doesn't mean they will donate to every cause or donate the amount that people think they should. Any donation should be received with a huge thank you.
I can second this one... My STBX works for Home Depot. I had the opportunity to sit down with her store manager over a cup of coffee in the break room one day. She (store manager) told me that she is approached an average of fourteen times a week (over twice per day as she usually only works 6 days) for people wanting donations of one sort or the other.

They can't fix everything!...

·
Registered
254 Posts
The point of the boycott is because an employee almost lost a child in a terrible accident and all they can give, to help her family raise money for medical bills is two cases of water?!?!?
This is for an employee who has worked there for over 20 years. That to me is just
wrong.
This isn't a "pet project" this is about children's heath that Raven is talking about.

We are not talking about Joe needs some stuff to raise money for his car, we are talking about a dedicated employee who is looking at major medical bills.

They are looking at the bigger picture, they could be burying these two girls.

Blessings,
Debi

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Large corporations do donate large sums to charity, however according to the federal reserve 75% of all moneys given in America come from individuals not the big corporations. Individual contributors would include the small locally owned businesses.

Now is this a good reason to boycott Walmart, that is for them to decide. But to insist that large corporations are at the top of the charitable giving heap is not based on fact. Charitable giving in 2005

Individual giving is always the largest single source of donations. It rose by 6.4 percent. (2.9 percent adjusted for inflation) to an estimated $199.07 billion. It accounts for 76.5 percent of all estimated giving in 2005.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
countrydreamn said:
The point of the boycott is because an employee almost lost a child in a terrible accident and all they can give, to help her family raise money for medical bills is two cases of water?!?!?
This is for an employee who has worked there for over 20 years. That to me is just
wrong.
This isn't a "pet project" this is about children's heath that Raven is talking about.

We are not talking about Joe needs some stuff to raise money for his car, we are talking about a dedicated employee who is looking at major medical bills.

They are looking at the bigger picture, they could be burying these two girls.

Blessings,
Debi
Thank you for understanding Debi.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,877 Posts
Two of my renters work at Wal-Mart. One had to have hip replacement surgery. The other one's husband lost his job and has left the country. She has four children to support. I'm sure every family at Wal-Mart has a crisis at one time or another. Expecting a business to put out *at a certain level* for this or that crisis is not rational. It's a business, not a commune or a charity organization.

I worked for fifteen years at a public school. During that time, I donated a kidney to my husband whose kidneys had failed the year I went to work there. Of course, they didn't make a donation to us, and I didn't expect one.

You can harangue Wal-Mart for not providing health insurance or driving competitors out of business, but this situation just doesn't work for me as something to be outraged about. In effect, what the boycotters are saying is, "You donated to us, but NOT ENOUGH."

Sad. Really sad.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Rose said:
Two of my renters work at Wal-Mart. One had to have hip replacement surgery. The other one's husband lost his job and has left the country. She has four children to support. I'm sure every family at Wal-Mart has a crisis at one time or another. Expecting a business to put out *at a certain level* for this or that crisis is not rational. It's a business, not a commune or a charity organization.

I worked for fifteen years at a public school. During that time, I donated a kidney to my husband whose kidneys had failed the year I went to work there. Of course, they didn't make a donation to us, and I didn't expect one.

You can harangue Wal-Mart for not providing health insurance or driving competitors out of business, but this situation just doesn't work for me as something to be outraged about. In effect, what the boycotters are saying is, "You donated to us, but NOT ENOUGH."

Sad. Really sad.
Glad to see SOMEONE GETS IT
Don't thin I could have said it better myself, Rose

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you're missing the point Rose and that is probably my fault. Neither of the families involved have asked for ANYTHING. The community rallied around them and planned a big fundraiser. The manager of the company that employed one of the family members made a token donation. I think that is what people are so upset about (and from what I've heard it is the other employees who are upset and calling for a boycott).

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.