enterotoxemia C&D vaccine expiration?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ed1047, Oct 22, 2004.

1. ed1047

ed1047 New Member

Hi, I bought some Enterotoxemia C&D vaccine a couple of months ago, just in case I need it, and have been keeping it in the fridge...
    anybody know how long it'll keep in there before it's ineffective, or maybe even dangerous to use?
    Thanks in advance!
    -Ed in NC

2. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Most have a expiration date on the bottle somewhere !!!!

3. ed1047

ed1047 New Member

I guess I'll take another look at the fine print.
    Many thanks for the suggestion.
    -Ed

4. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hi,

Call a Vet. Some meds are still good for a period AFTER the expired date. No sense tossing meds if they could still be good. On the other hand, like you said some meds go bad, so double check with a vet. Eliminating unnecessary waste will help your profits ( or keep you from going in the hole with your hobby). Katharine

5. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

I don't think it would matter one way or another because CD&T VACCINE (TOXOID) is pretty much worthless even when fresh. If it's ANTITOXIN, which is for short-term immunity, it should stay good for a good while longer past the expiration date... Vaccine (toxoid) is not very effective. I've read it only gives immunity for three months after the shots which means you should give it every three months. You really should consider using Covexin 8 or don't waste your $$$ with the CD&T.