Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to take the plunge and learn something completely different than the wallpaper installation I have been doing for the last 20+ years. I will be going in the morning to talk to the tuition and admissions people at Keiser University in Sarasota. Planning to take Culinary Arts. I qualify for grants so that should ease the financial burden some. It has been 31 years since I have went to school of any kind. I have no idea what kind of questions I should be asking tomorrow beyond what supplies I will need and where to get them and what the class hours are. Other than that I am drawing a complete blank. I think my thinker doesn't think as well when it is excited. I do know that 16 months are culinary training, 4 months of externship and 8 months of gen education that includes math, english, and science. Hoping I can get credit for some of that from my business ownership knowledge and the fact that I have lived to almost 50 without any real horrible life mishaps. Any advice anyone can send my way before I leave the house tomorrow morning at 9 am would be tremendously appreciated.

Lesa

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Do you have your High School Transcripts?

And letters of recommendation (if needed)? You may not for a Ugrad degree...

If you are applying for financial aid, you will probably need one or two tax returns.

Good Luck!

Gailann Schrader
Weekend Master's Program
Purdue University

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
chickenmommy said:
I have decided to take the plunge and learn something completely different than the wallpaper installation I have been doing for the last 20+ years. I will be going in the morning to talk to the tuition and admissions people at Keiser University in Sarasota. Planning to take Culinary Arts. I qualify for grants so that should ease the financial burden some. It has been 31 years since I have went to school of any kind. I have no idea what kind of questions I should be asking tomorrow beyond what supplies I will need and where to get them and what the class hours are. Other than that I am drawing a complete blank. I think my thinker doesn't think as well when it is excited. I do know that 16 months are culinary training, 4 months of externship and 8 months of gen education that includes math, english, and science. Hoping I can get credit for some of that from my business ownership knowledge and the fact that I have lived to almost 50 without any real horrible life mishaps. Any advice anyone can send my way before I leave the house tomorrow morning at 9 am would be tremendously appreciated.

Lesa
Not to worry. Most first time college students (the eighteen year old variety) cannot successfully find their backsides with both hands, you can bet that ALL of the instructions on "how to" and "what to" will be provided to you and simple enough that an eight year old can understand them.

Sounds like quite and adventure. However, have you thought about just apprenticing at a large, "upscale" restaurant rather than dumping thousands of dollars into schooling? Most restaurants like those I mentioned are happy to consider an apprenticeship program (some may even work with your states department of labor (job service), so that you an be paid while you apprentice. Also, getting practical experience is so much more valuable (and interesting) than learning in a classroom. You might check into what training and apprenticeship programs are available. Contact your local job service, or state employment center and find someone who knows what they are doing. (not as easy as it sounds).

donsgal

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I will try to answer all questions in the order that they appeared :)
No high school transcripts, they did ask that I bring my diploma. I was even able to find it! That was a miracle in itself.
They did say to bring last years taxes. No problem!
Letters of recommendation weren't requested, but I can get them if they need them later. Never even thought of that! Thanks.
I will be commuting about 1 hour 20 minutes each way. The ex's mother lives within 12 miles of the school and said I can stay with her anytime, she'd love to have me. What a sweetheart, sure hated to lose her when I got rid of the first husband!
Orientation, there's a good question--thanks.
Testing out of courses is one of my first questions, although the general education portion can be taken on line, no sense in wasting time if I don't have to.
I have thought of apprenticing at a larger rest. around here, but would prefer (I think-who knows what will happen?) to wait till I get started and then look for a place part time in the evenings and do that in tandem with the schooling.
I drove past the college this past weekend because we went to see family in Tampa, and I really don't think a parking permit is going to be an issue, but I will ask just the same cause you never know! Thanks for that one too, never would have thought of it.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer so quickly. And with such good questions. I will report back on how it goes.
Oooh I'm soo excited! It is going to be an adventure!

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Will you have to provide your own knives? What about apron/uniform?

Will they let you keep a talented rat under your toque so it can control the movement of your arms by pulling on your hair?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I think that you will be assigned an academic adviser, usually a college professor in you field of study. They should be able to make sure you are in the classes you need, than any needed ones the second year will be available, etc.

Please feel free to ship sample food my direction. Heavy on the veggies and casseroles and easy on the desserts.

Have fun and best wishes. Pay attention during gravy making class. Some find it tough to make properly and without tasting like raw flour.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't have any practical advice to offer, but wanted to extend a hearty congratulations! I love to see people make their dreams come true. Why not, right? Good luck!
Oh, and since I'm in Kansas the same as Wendy, feel free to send lots of desserts! Maybe I can talk her into sharing with me :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Must be something in the air, as I am going back as well. Luckily we have great counselors here, because she insisted I get my transcripts from the last time I went to college, and happily discovered I have 24 credits in the plus column, so with the eleven I am already about to take, I am more than half way to my associates...and on the path to my bachelor's. Congrats to everyone deciding to go back to school!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Glad you are choosing something useful. I have three college degrees, two undergrads and a Masters, and am about 1/2 way to a Phd. Only thing I even remotely use is some of the stuff in my Engineering degree, and that just fiddling around the house with "stuff". 98% of what I learned is pure nonsense.
Good luck.

galump

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
galump said:
Glad you are choosing something useful. I have three college degrees, two undergrads and a Masters, and am about 1/2 way to a Phd. Only thing I even remotely use is some of the stuff in my Engineering degree, and that just fiddling around the house with "stuff". 98% of what I learned is pure nonsense.
Good luck.

galump
I agree with you totally. However, I stopped after I got my English degree. How come you kept going if you realized it was a big waste of time and money?

donsgal

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ohhh... school supplies! Makes me want to buy pencils, notebooks and all the other exciting stuff. Maybe buy yourself a new backpack or school bag!

Have fun!

·
Registered
627 Posts
DenverGirlie said:
ohhh... school supplies! Makes me want to buy pencils, notebooks and all the other exciting stuff. Maybe buy yourself a new backpack or school bag!

LOL! You sound like my 23 year old. She absolutely LOVES back to school shopping, and insists that she does it for her siblings. She shops for clothes down to pencils.

·
Registered
627 Posts
galump said:
Good luck.

You sound like a constant student. Most people have a profession in mind when they begin college, and use their education to coincide with that. Then there are people who just attend college to attend college. I've been submitting stuff even without a degree....the degree which helps me ask for what I am REALLY worth. I know a lady who is almost seventy and has gone to school for nearly 50 years...the only job she has ever had was a nursing assistant. That is just crazy to me.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I'm happy for you vickiesmom. Way to go!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts