enlarged scrotum?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tiffin, May 2, 2006.

1. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

I just noticed what appears to be an enlarged scrotum on my wether. He was born in January, castrated within one week and now this. He appears to have the two scrotums, but one is very large; size of a tennis ball. My older wether that I bought last fall does not appear to have scrotums. So what is going on? If no one has any ideas by end of day I'll call the vet who castrated him. Weird how it would happen months later. By the way he looks great, eats like crazy: pasture, hay and alfalfa cubes.

2. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

CAll the vet. How was it done? burdizzo or cutting?

3. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

im stumped. Unless its scar tissue or some way his intestins? Id give the vet a call

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

did you band him your self? did you make sure and get both testicals into the sac before releasing the band?
    also sometimes a buck can retain a testical, even a third one, some breeds are prone to it, take him to the vet and have it checked out.

5. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

The vet did the cutting. I was there and saw it done. Thank you for everyones response. I'll call the vet first thing in the morning. It is so strange because I spend time with them everyday and did not notice this until today. It actually looks like a tumor, but why? I'm so glad he is not distressed in anyway. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again. I love this site.

6. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Myguess is it is a hernia (intestines) or fluid from him trying to heal. How old did you say he was?

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

So what did you find out on this?? I would say a hrenia also if the vet did the cutting.

8. Mortgage-Hill

Mortgage-Hill Active Member

how old was he when he was cut?

9. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

Bad news: goat has caseous lymphadenitis (CL). All four goats have been infected because the vet found another smaller abscess that we never saw that obviously had already burst and drained. I'm thankful that these are just pets, not a working herd. Vet incised the abscess and removed contents. He did say the goat can survive and go on being a pet. He will probably get more abscesses, so what to do? It's all very sad.