Enlarged Joints

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by miller1911, May 30, 2005.

1. miller1911

miller1911 Active Member

I have two nine month old pigs that have enlarged joints, one pig has two really large ones and the other has one enlarged joint, any ideas about what is causing this and what to do for it would be greatly apprecaited one is a butcher hog and the other is a replacement gilt.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi,
    At a calculated guess, I would think your pigs have Infectious Arthritis. This usually responds well to antibiotics. Have a talk to your vet and the sooner the better, particularly in the case of your replacement gilt.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You hogs have IMO chronic swine erysipelas. I suggest you get another gilt and vaccinate her early. Butcher the ones you have and expect there to be some reduction in meat due to trimming by the processor.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I wondered about Erysipelas (and perhaps should have mentioned it) but discounted it as a first option as no skin lesions were mentioned and these can occur in the chronic form as well as the acute.
    The disease responds very well to penicillin - I have a sow that contracted it as a youngster and is still going at age 8, so personally I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to knock it off.
    It's your call Miller but a bit of veterinary advice is probably your best way and then you'll know for sure what your dealing with. They will also be able to advise on vaccination if it is Erysipelas as there are two ways to go about doing it. However, vaccination doesn't appear to prevent the chronic form of the disease.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. miller1911

miller1911 Active Member

I looked up the symptoms of the Erysipelas and the gilt has none of these the butcher hog has the enlarged joints on two knees and a slight arch in his back, I will try the antibiotics first and see how they do which is best penicillin or LA200, I've heard the LA200 will kick it whereas the penicillin won't touch it.