English Shepherds

Discussion in 'Guard Animals' started by boundarybunnyco, Jan 19, 2013.

1. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

MullersLaneFarm likes this.
  2. JHinCA

JHinCA Well-Known Member

Sounds like they have the intelligence and many of the good qualities of border collies but with a much more relaxed temperament? I like the idea of having a herding dog, but the border collies I dogsat a few years ago HAD to be kenneled unless you were working with them or they would find something to do you would rather they didn't.

3. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

The English shepherd works very differently from a border collie, but is more like an Australian Shepherd with a tail. He is loose eyed and works upright. He also is more of a driver than a gatherer. Their responsibilities have ranged from herding and protecting stock, to dispatching vermin, guarding the home, and watching over children.
    It seems they are often advertised as livestock guardian dogs.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Id agree that ES are as smart as border collies, but with an 'off' switch'. When they're not working, they're generally content to hang out with their stock or their humans.

Wendle is correct they ES are upright herders, like Aussies. It seems like ES are pretty evenly divided between driving and gathering, at least based on the ones I've known, and the working evaluations here: http://esclub.webasyst.net/QP/html/scripts/book.php?DB_KEY=S0QwODEz&BookID=we&PageID=Title

ES aren't livestock guardians in the traditional sense that they are happy living 24/7 with them. I'd say ES are more people oriented, and keep livestock in control because they enjoy enforcing the 'rules' which hopefully have been made clear by their owners.

5. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

Sorry I must have read the ES web site wrong. This is from the website. "English shepherds are the original all-purpose farm dog. Not only do they help with livestock chores, they also hunt vermin, guard livestock from predators, and become part of the family".

Farmer Chris likes this.
  6. JHinCA

JHinCA Well-Known Member

Love that description!

7. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

My ES would only be happy living outside with the livestock if WE stayed out there, too.

Farmer Chris likes this.
  8. jp_over

jp_over Member

boundarybunnyco,

Any long term updates on your dog? I'm considering the same breeder / line. Thanks!

Joe