Engine waste heat.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by tinknal, Jan 19, 2007.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

While driving today I got to thinking about all the wasted energy in a conventional auto. Much of this energy is in the form of heated coolant. Now except for the little heat you use to warm the interior on a cold day, all this energy is wasted. It seems to me that there should be a way to recover this heat and turn it back into useable energy. Is it just not worth it, or has no one figured a practical way to utilize this energy?

2. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

You can cook dinner on your manifold. :)

3. tinknal

Oh crud, I intended to post this in Alternative Energy forum. Mods, please feel free to move it.

4. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

I think heating the interior of the car works the best. summertime ?????

5. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

The energy is not wasted. It heats the air. The heat is not enough to make any other useabe energy.

6. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

That idea is already used in some power plants. Co-gen plants use the waste exhaust heat to fire boilers and for use in absorbers. Saves a lot of money as you get to use the fuel two times.

7. tinknal

Yeah, that is kind of my idea. A cars cooling system really isn't that different from a pressurized steam system.

8. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you will find that its worse that you think...about 80% of your engines energy is wasted.. most auto engines are only about 20% eff.

running engine hotter helps....alittle turbo chargers help....alittle. no venturis as in carburators help....alittle. running high compression ratios helped.....but with the quality of gas...thats history.

the long/short of it is that we need a new motive of transportation for light loads electric cars probably, for heavy loads we will need railroads,,,,electric probably,

i sometimes wonder if we could develope new forms of transportation with 300 or 600 billion we are spending to protect oil supplies and oil companies. lock and load.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

TMEN mag had some articles using a car engine as a generator,than running the coolant water thru a large tank to make hot water .There is a lot of wasted heat that got used and made a pretty slick water heater on the cheap.Might make a loop system if you are going to drink it maybe?

BooBoo :gromit:

10. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

The catylitic converter also gets toasty. One day I grabbed a hold of mine while it was still hot. I wish they could figure out how to make energy from sound waves.

11. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, someone is working on a 6 stroke engine that uses steam as the 5th and 6th stroke. It is a 4 cycle engine that injects water into the cylinder after the gasoline strokes.

12. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

I heard a short time back the scientist are working on a type of transportation that could mean the end of the auto for private transportation. It won't be available anytime soon though.

13. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

If you run a hot engine you can make just as much energy as you can use in a car thet is coing down the highway. Just hooked it up to a steam jenerator and make your own electricy then you willhave a traailer that may contain batters and you can use them when you get backl. The only thing is that if you run your engine hot enough to turn a steam jenerator it will not last but a shourt time. Also if you use a steam jenerator the adid weight you need a large engine to pull it and the trailer that you put batteries in. I know this is a Rube Golieberg idea but it will work. A much easier way is to get another generator and put it on the motor and charge the batteries.