Engine running rough

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billyj, Jan 26, 2005.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Need additional help
    B&S 17hp 42a707
    type 2653e1
    code 9910085b

After checking fuel filter, adding new fuel, setting the magneto @ .017 The engine still misses. It sounds like it want to catch up and smooth out but wont.
    It has plenty of fire on the left side cylinder and little to no fire on the right cylinder....I'm at the end of my row here. I have no way to check the magneto.

Any advise would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks
    Billy J

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Assumeing you have allready tried new plugs, then clean the rust or whatever off the magnets and the electronic pick up surface. Next would be to question the plug wires for a currant leak, this is easy to see after dark. 90% of what goes wrong with small engines is electrical, the last thing you want to do is get into the carb. Pattern surging indicates the governor is out of adjustment. An air leak can also cause rough running, spray WD 40 on the carb mounting area when the engine is running, speed change indicates air leaks.

3. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

reply to Moopups

new plugs =YES
    clean the rust or whatever off the magnets and the electronic pick up surface =YES, STILL, LITTLE TO NO FIRE ON THE RIGHT CYLINDER
    Next would be to question the plug wires for a currant leak, HAVE NOT CHECK THIS OUT, WILL DO SO TONIGHT
    Pattern surging indicates the governor is out of adjustment. HOW DO I SET THIS?
    An air leak can also cause rough running, spray WD 40 on the carb mounting area when the engine is running, speed change indicates air leaks = WILL TRY THIS ALSO.
    Thanks
    Billy j

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    You might need to remove the twin coils and have them checked with a meter for shorts.As for the governor adjustment, that is not here for me to see it so I cannot comment, it is most proable that the problem in the electrical system is cause an alike symptom.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

How about verifying the compression on the cylinders to eliminate the possibilty of a sticking valve? Are the plug wires true wires or are they the carbon type? Need a wire wire plug wire!

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

You probably do have some electrical related problems as other have addressed.

One very common boo-boo with the smaller engines is fuel quality. Even tho, you stated the fuel has been changed, I would give her a shot of dry-gas. Don't know how many times I have gone nuts trying to figure out why an engine wasn't running right and it was the fuel. After some dry-gas would run like a top when I would swear major electrical / spark was the cause.

The gasoline today starts to degrade very fast, if it has been in storage for any period is always suspect. Can even be questionable right out the pump. Number of additives available. I like the dry-gas and still have some of the old alcohol based octane booster left over from the old days.

All the small engines, one of the first things I address is possible fuel quality issues no matter how new I think the fuel is.