engine removal

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by mohillbilly, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

I have a 1973 winnebago. It is sitting on a dodge 2 ton chassis. I want to remove the 440 from it to install in another vehicle. Looking it over, the best way I figure to remove it is from the front end. Another option I have heard of is out the side door. (doesnt look like a good idea to me though). Pulling it from the front looks like it will entail removal of the entire front end of the camper.

I dont care if the camper gets hurt or destroyed in the process, however, I am just lookin for the best way to do this safely and easy as possible. Anyone tried or done this?

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

jack it up block it up and take out the front axle and drop it on the floor

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Tis might sound strange but it is most likely the best/only way to remove that engine intact.

4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

The easiest way to remove the engine/tranny is take the grill and radiator support out. You'll need a engine hoist to do it. The easiest is to get the bracket that attaches to the carb mounting bolts, you can get one at most any auto parts store.

Bobg

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ayep, they come out the front after the grill and cooling system is removed, usually with the transmission still attached.

6. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice folks! I have all the proper equ9ipment to do the job, just never done it on a winnebago cheiftain before! I will look at it a little closer this next week and see what looks like will work the best. I am in no hurry to do this, just looking for input.

the basic plan here is to remove the 440 ( has a recent rebuild on it and runs perfect ) and install it into my ol ladies 78 4x4 prospector. The original 360 engine threw a rod ( at idle!!!) Will be a fun and exciting project when the prospector is complete.

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Way back when I had the wonderful job of pulling a 440 out of a Dodge Champion Motorhome.

It came out the front after removing most everything to get at it.

I believe(it has been a long time) RV 440's have different heads than autos-no idea what the difference is as I am not that big of a Mopar fan.

If you do not need the RV to survive,a cutting torch would make removal easier.

8. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I said to drop it out downbank because on a lot of the old fixed cab , cab over trucks this was the ONLY way to get them out quick , and if anyone ever needs to do a Jaguar engine / clutch they come out downbank , as does the Ford Contour .( lift the body off the engine / axle )