Energy Savings Possibilities

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rwinsouthla, Nov 22, 2006.

1. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi folks,

I work for a chemical processing plant in south Louisiana (yeah, not the best energy users but it pays the bills). We are always looking for ways to cut energy costs in our plant....actually it is really the basis of my employment as an engineer.

Our corporation has worked with another organization to create a website that gives some beginning guidelines on saving money on heating/cooling and gasoline. It has a neat quiz on the website. Take a look....it could help you save a few bucks this winter. It doesn't have any plugs for products or services.

www.6degreechallenge.com/

Thanks,

Ray

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Thats pretty neat RW. Thanks for sharing.

3. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Thanks, that was interesting. I did get 5 out of 6 right. I started to say which one I missed but that would give someone else the answer!! :rolleyes:

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Cool I got an A+ on the test. I know what to do but just don;t do many of the things :) Although I have changed ALL bulbs to the those types. And use more cold water when washing clothes etc. And this year is the first winter I will be cutting back on electric use when watering my horses as I went with 2 ----5 gal heated buckets instead of using a 50 gal tank with a 1500 Watt heater~!! These 5 gal buckets are at 250 watts each and that cut it by quite a bit and the one 150 gal tank I have for my steer I put on a Plug in Thermostat that will turn on and off depending on the AIR Temp and not the waters temp. so even if that tank has the 1500 Watt heater in that "extra" thermostat should help a lot. And so far this VERY mild start to our winter months is helping a bunch also.~!! 2 days ago when it SHOULD be 20 Degrees and have a foot of snow on the ground.,. It has been in the 50's and 60s and NO SNOW on the ground. ~!! Keep this up and I will save quite a bit on energy over the winter months :)

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I like the concept of the site but Flash animation sucks. I wish website developers would keep it simple.

Anyway, there is good information on there, once you get past all the unnecessasry bells and whistles. And I envy that you get to live in S. Louisiana which is the FINEST PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE to be, cher.

donsgal