Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! I stopped counting how long it has been since we heard from James. It has been a bit over six weeks.
I got home from Wyoming and the National goat show last Sunday. (BTW, I met Cowgirlracer and her really nice family while I was there) I have been really tired and trying to catch up on chores and projects. I was taking a little nap in the recyliner yesterday afternoon when the phone jarred me awake. A friend really excitedly asked me if James was back in the area. I told that there was absolutely no telling. She has passed him on the highway headed into town--- EAST. He was not headed to our house....... she stopped and talked to him and asked if he wanted to call me and he declined. She said that he acted pretty embarassed. Before I could get my shoes on, the phone rang three more times with people telling me that they had seen him. I decided the heck with what he thought he wanted. We grabbed the B-day cards that we had been saving for him and headed to town.
I pulled ahead of him and we sat and waited on him to ride to us. When he got close, I asked him did he honestly think that he would make it thru town with out me knowing about it? We both laughed and he hugged the stuffing out of us all. We never asked where he had been or what he had been doing. We all talked ninety to nothing telling him about all that has been going on and all about the flood. He said that he had a job near his home and he was going to work there. We told him how much we loved him and missed him. He says that he plans to DRIVE back over to see us in a couple of weeks. I believe that he has had his fill of riding the range.
I was much relieved and happy to see him. He seemed happy to see us but you never can tell what is going on in a cowboy's mind...... In all, we visited with him less than 15 minutes. According to friends, he was stopped several times going thru town by people who knew him during his stay here.
All during this saga, I have been very careful to treat him like a grown up and not push or mother him too much. I was careful to not nag or let him know that I worried about him. It was my impression that he had not known much in the way of unconditional love. That is what we did. Even if we never see or hear from him again, I don't regret a minute of it.
Tana Mc

OOPPS! I forgot to add that Spuds looked absolutely marvelous!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Oh Tana....my kids are babies still but I can imagine that you feel like one of your own is trying to test his wings and you have to let him go!!!!

I am guessing that he never did make it to his original destination?

Rachel

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Lovely update, I've really enjoyed reading about your cowboy :)

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
If nothing else, Tana, you've given him a memory of happiness that will be with him for the rest of his life -- and hopefully affect the way he lives his life.

I have to say, it's wonderful to know that there are still people in this world who care about strangers -- especially strangers in need. Your story has given me so much, affected me in a way I never thought a stranger's story could. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your kind words. Throughout this whole deal, I have been really touched by how this story has affected other people. For some it was about kindness, for others it was the romance of a cowboy riding across the prairie and for others, it made them think of following their own crazy dreams. Many people encouraged him and just as many told him that he was crazy, foolish and other blunt unkind things. Those same people ask me all the time if I have heard from him and how far he had made it. Whether on not they wanted to admit it, they got caught up in the adventure,too. I will admit to being puzzled as to why it was amazing and even alarming to some people that we would take this young man in. It could have turned out badly and in this day and time, in hindsight, it was probably foolhardy. In that case, I hope that I am never too "wise" to pass up a blessing riding down the road. All that I know is that when we first drove slowly by him on that poor horse, I couldn't NOT stop.
I don't know where all he ended up but the grapevine has it that he made it as far as Colorado..... That was a bit of a surprise since I had understood he was going to Tx. LOL!! I do know for certain that he has been in the next county for the last couple of weeks. I have my sources! LOL!!
Everybody has been quick to praise me for my kindness but in truth..... James gave us much more than he ever took. He was a young man of great Christian faith. Our family has been in a kind of Spiritual drought. We are Christian but we seem to have lost our zeal...... I was very, very ill when he got here. He was big and strong and willing to do anything that I asked him to do.
It is really quite amazing how this all played out.
Tana Mc

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
In a way, it's kind of like having had your very own "Pale Rider" :)

I hope he stays in touch with you -- the angels that drop into our lives in times of need seldom seem to, but it would be nice to hear more of the story now and then.

A friend sent me this ages ago -- but it seems appropriate now:

People always come into you life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, or to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or even spiritually. They may seem like a Godsend to you, and they are. They are there for a reason, you need them to be.

Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die, Sometimes they just walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season. And like Spring turns to Summer and Summer to Fall, the season eventually ends.

Lifetime, relationships teach you a lifetime of lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a slid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person/people (anyway); and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas in your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant. Thank you for being part of my life....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts