Emily......Walnut leaves?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexCountryWoman, Jun 9, 2006.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Emily, in another post, you talked about walnut leaves being good for goats. I have several nice big Black Walnut trees and I have heard so many conflicting things about them so I just don't let my goats have any leaves. What can you tell me about this?

Also, another person told me that the black walnut shells were a natural wormer....any thoughts? The Black Walnut nuts actually have fallen into the cow trough, were they have turned the water a reddish color and the large animals have drank it with no ill effects. Was I inadvertantly worming them naturally?

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i am no Emily but i had LOTS of black walnut trees in my goat pasture back in Kansas and the goats would eat the leafs up as high as they could reach, alot of smaller trees got so stripped of their foliage they died off, they never ate the bark but the greenery was fair game,
    i have also heard that the Black walnut tree is a natural wormer but never tested it, i figured if they are a wormer thats great if not ohwell, free food, i still used comercial wormer, the range block worked the best for me

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Diane,
    Black Walnut leaves are some of the favorite browse that my herd has. They love the leaves, and will also eat the hulls right off the nut in the fall. My girls have eaten whole trees full of leaves at a time when I was clearing land and it never hurt them a bit. I would never keep them from eating the leaves and sometimes if I have a sick goat, the black walnut leaves will tempt them to eat. So....my opinion?? Let them at 'em!!=)

Black Walnut hulls do have some wormer type qualities, but I wouldn't rely on them as a wormer. In the fall I will throw some of the whole walnuts(hull and all) into their water tubs. They don't mind at all and I figure it might help a bit?? But mine still get wormed with cydectin. We used to worm our wholoe herd of Jerseys with black walnut hull water all through the fall. But goats are more worm susceptible, so I stick with the commercial wormer.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Fantastic! We are fixing to cut down a bunch of small walnut trees that are taking over and i will give some of the branches to the goats (I'll start slow of course). I use cydectin too and would not depend on an herbal wormer at all, but an herbal wormer (such as walnut leaves) would be a good additional wormer. We have a bunch of dried black walnuts in the black shells laying everywhere all over the ground. do you think they would be of any use to the goats...how would you utilize them and how much? Or were you talking about the black walnuts when they are laying on the ground still in the green stage with green husks?