Emily is GONE

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Dec 4, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I'm so darn :flame: at myself. I went and got some Bo-Se to give Emily another shot of it because she still was having trouble. I gave her 1 cc of Bo-SE yesterday evening and all was fine. I checked on her lastnight before going to bed all was fine with her no troubles then this morn she was down on me. It had gotten very cold lastnight down in the 10's here so I brought her into the house to warm her up. She was just a little bloated but not much so I had to tube her because she couldn't swollow at all.. She did burp and all but she acted like was in horrible pain. I worked with her from 7am this morn til about 20 or 30 mins ago now. When she passed away she had liquid come out of her mouth it was like a color of straw plus a little bit of blood. I'm so darn :flame: at myself for her dieing. I saved her the first time but this time I couldn't do JACK..

Before anyone ask did she have worms the answer is NO
    Her eye lids was nice and pink like suppose to be almost red

She didn't have no runs at all. So I believe I killed her by the shot I gave her.
    I want to go outside and just scream. I did cry but what does cring do when you may have caused the death this time.. Darn I'm so :flame: :flame: I can't stand it.

Heck Maybe someone can shade some light on this.. If so do not be afraid to say because when I needed the help I only got very few replies. I also tried everything in the book to get her warm incase it was due to being to cold.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a BoSE shot killing a goat, especially in that small dosage. I've never even seen a reaction in a goat, but that's doesn't mean it doesn't occur. I suppose she could have had a weird allergic reaction or something.

Could she have gotten into something that poisoned her? I don't think you killed her. There are about a million things that a goat can contract this time of year, and goats have an extrordinary ability to look fine and then drop dead. Have you considered a necropsy to see what killed her?

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

some people say that when they give any shots they have epenephrine (sp?) on hand to give just in case the goat has a reaction. Kind of like an epi pen for people.

I doubt you killed her with the BoSe.

4. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

When I gave her the shot yesterday evening everything was ok. I did have the pen with me but she didn't have no trouble after I gave her the shot. I stayed out there with her for 30mins plus I gave 2 other goats shots of Bo-Se also and they are fine. I'm trying to do some research to see what might had happen to her.

5. AllWolfsHUBBY

AllWolfsHUBBY Member

Hello everyone,
    Great to get 1st time chance to say hello to all here on the board here. I am AllWolf's husband and I want to say hello and hope i'm welcome.

I also want to say that my wife Miss AllWolf loves pets, animals of all kinds and loves her pet goats dearly. I believe she would almost cut her right arm off to keep from letting a pet animal of hers be hurt or sick. She done everything she could to save Emily this morning, short of giving mouth to mouth.

I hope I can be honored by a warm welcome and hello in reply.

God bless you all and hope you have a loving Christmas holiday.
    AllWolf'sHUBBY

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Welcome hubby.

Yes, giving mouth to mouth might be considered above and beyond. Try to convince her that the BoSE didn't kill the little goat. It could have been so many things.

7. AllWolfsHUBBY

AllWolfsHUBBY Member

YES your correct, it could have been so so many different things could have been what it was that killed Emily the little goat. AllWolf loved it so very much, as she does for all our pet goats. Yep, ours, I lov'um too, yep, yep. :angel:

AllWolfsHUBBY

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Welcome aboard hubby. I am sorry we had to meet you under these conditions.
    She needs to know that we all know she did and does everything she can for her goats. Sometimes God has other plans then we do, he had the story for Emily already written out and she as the rest of of can not change what he is going to do. We know that Emily was SO very loved and was happy as ever with her.
    Please give her a big hug for us and tell her it was NOT her fault. :grouphug:

9. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry to hear about Emily! I know you worked so hard to save her, and now this. :Bawling:

Please don't beat yourself up over it - I truly don't believe that the shot could have killed her. It could be that her system was still weak after all her previous problems.

We do the best we can for our critters, but sometimes it just isn't enough.

10. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I don't think it was the BoSe shot. It sounds rather like bloat, or an injury. is there somwhere she could have fallen from and gotten injured?

11. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello, (and welcome hubby!)

I agree also I don't think a BoSe shot could kill her that fast, that would lead to more long term problems from an overdose I'd think vs. fast death.

Could have been anything. I'm wondering if she had pasturella pneumonia? My 2 that died of it in June 05 never showed any symptoms until right before they died either.

I just lost a 10 day old doeling who were were nuturing in the house yesterday. It's very hard to loose one.

Hope you feel better about it, Jenny

12. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have no idea if BoSe was the culprit but wanted to pass on a friend's experience. She had a vet out who recommended her healthy pregnant does get BoSe shot pre-kidding. After the shots they both died. I don't know the dose but have to think it must have been pretty hefty.

13. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

the only explanation i can see for this is that the vet might had used mu-se instead of bo-se.

before giving selenium shots it is very important to look at the bottle to get the selenium concentration as there are different brands with very different concentrations.

14. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

foamy mouth? wet mouth?

Could have been pneumonia.

Happens in an eye blink with goats.

Babies are especially hard to equalize after some problem occurs.

She/you did everything possible to save her.

I had a newborn wet buckling FREEZE DOWN TO THE GROUND last year. I had to PRY HIM UP OFF THE GROUND. In January. He managed to get out of the warmed kidding pen, got past the horses and their deep straw bedding, and freeze down to the ground outside the barn. He was still alive but died a week later suddenly (after Herculean efforts on our part)...

Sometimes? It's just meant to be. There are other goats. Mark it down and keep going.

*hugs*